Thursday, December 6, 2007

Continuing Education

That cute little smiling imp the the picture above has tagged me with the Curriculum meme that's slowly making it's way around. That chubby cheeked imp who is smiling so big, for those of you who do not know, is Delia Guzman. She is one of my blog buds and the more stuff of hers that I read the more I think she may be the Hispanic side of me I never knew was there. She writes two blogs, like me, she's left leaning, like me, she's funny, well I try anyway, she's into Harry Potter and BBC Britcoms, like me, and we're roughly the same age, we're both 29ish, shut up, we are! In addition to all that she also wrote this bittersweet powerful post and she adopted two of my favorite actors on her blogs, Rachel Weisz and Hugo Weaving. So given all that, how could I refuse her anything?

Here's the rules of the meme which she got via the person who tagged her, FranIam: “You must write about 5 classes you would like to take if you could make up your own curriculum. AND- and this is important, ONE of them must come from your tagger's list.”
So the class I'd take from Delia's curriculum is this one:

1) Blogging: Philosophy and Practice (with Lab)This course would be the highlight of my day, because all my bloggy heroes—D-cap, D-cup, FranSheIs, Jess Wundrun, Matty Boy, Princess Sparkle Pony, Dr Monkey, Splotchy, Whiskey Marie, GetKristiLove, VikkiTikkiTavi, and everyone else whose blogs I love would also be enrolled in the class! The Lab would be wall-to-wall laptops with WiFi of course, and a few TVs on all the classic content-inspiring channels – CNN, Discovery, Animal Planet, Faux “News” Channel, Style Network, E Entertainment, etc. Talking, food, and fellowship required!
Yep. I'd have to agree with her there. I'd love love LOVE to take that class. Oh wait, hang on, I think I may actually teach that class.

Now, here are my additions:
2) Elvis-ology 548-This is an upper level class that is open to anyone. It focuses on the musical career of Elvis Costello. Class attendees will listen to most Elvis Costello recordings over and over. However, his classical music recordings, the Burt Bacharach collaborations, and the CD entitled "North," will not be covered in this class, but feel feel free to listen to them on your own. In addition to listening to the recordings of Mr. Costello, concert attendance will also be required should any of his tours come to your town and you must catch all his appearances on television when possible. Appreciation of the music of his current wife Diana Krall, while not a prerequisite for this class, is highly recommended.
3) Flavor: The Use of Spices and Herbs in Cooking 101-This class will teach you how to use spices and herbs in your cooking to enhance the flavors of all the foods you cook. It will also teach you that the word "spicy" does not mean scalding hot. If you like your food bland and flavorless then do not take this class, instead, please continue to buy and eat the tasteless shit they sell at your local grocery store deli.
4) Walking Tall, Shopping Taller 342- This class will teach you how to have the backbone to speak up and stand up for yourself when you get shit on, ignored, or hassled by a store employee, waiter/waitress, and or a soul crushing multinational corporation. You will learn to differentiate between when a clerk or wait person is having a bad day and when they just want to get rid of you and we'll also cover how to deal with companies who love to screw over their customers, like Charter Cable, Comcast, and every insurance company that you ever tried to file a claim with.
5) They May Talk Funny But Boy Oh Boy Do They Look Great And Man, Are They Wildly Talented or What?! 750-This class will teach you how to appreciate non North American born actresses. You'll learn to appreciate women like Helen Mirren, Penelope Cruz, Carmen Mura, Michelle Laroque, Liz Hurley, Irene Jacob, Sophie Okenedo, Shirley Henderson, Keisha Castle-Hughes. Special emphasis will be placed on appreciating the following actresses:
Indira Varma
Namrata Shirodkar

Archie Panjabi
So there you have it. That's my continuing education class schedule for the rest of my life. I now tag Ed from Enriched Geranium, his lovely wife Suzy, Jess Wundrun, and D Cup. If any of you don't want to do it, that's fine too. And if you do want to do it, then there's no hurry to get it done.

7 comments:

dguzman said...

Aw, Monkey--I lubs you.

Great courses! I'm definitely in for all of them, though I might just audit the one on shopping, as I hate shopping (unless it's for groceries, and usually those stocker guys just leave you alone). I did not know Elvis and Diana Krall were married--imagine the duets going on in that house! Woohoo! And I can't wait to get the book for the non-North American hottie actresses class, man. I'm hoping to see a chapter on the French contingent, including Isabelle Huppert, Isabelle Adjani, Nathalie Baye (le yum!), and (le gasp) Catherine Deneuve!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Dguz-I lubs you too sugar booger. The class on shopping is for folks like you who hate it. After you learn how to stop being shit on then you may learn to like the whole experience. Thanks for the tag, that was a fun meme! And "oui, oui" to the French actresses you mentioned! Especially Ms. Deneuve!

GETkristiLOVE said...

Just don't schedule that class before 9am. I'm usually up late partying. I mean, working on the campaign.

Fran said...

Can I apply for a scholarship? I need to go to this school!

SamuraiFrog said...

God damn it, I love Indira Varma.

Anonymous said...

Sign me up for the actress class. I'm in. I like the Elvis class, too, but I'm only a part-time student in this University and would like to keep my course load light.

Souvik Chatterji said...

Namrata Shirodkar is one of the soft-spoken personalities of bollywood. The films in which she had acted she had left a lasting impression based on the softness of her character. She played the role of the daughter of a military officer in Raj Kumar Santoshi’s film Pukar, opposite Anil Kapoor.