Tuesday, March 3, 2015
Saturday, February 28, 2015
Friday, February 27, 2015
Thursday, February 26, 2015
I've been snowed in on and off for over a week now. I watch a lot of movies that way. Here's my report on five I've seen recently.
The IT Crowd alum Richard Ayoade adapted and directed this film and he used a lot of the cast from his first film Submarine and from his days on the aforementioned Brit-com. It's a spectacularly good film and I'm a huge fan of anything he directs.
Visually, it's very pretty and so is the bewitching Sally Ann Howes but on the whole, it just doesn't work at all.
Wednesday, February 25, 2015
Monday, February 23, 2015
I haven't seen the Academy Awards yet, I'll probably watch them later on Hulu, but here are my initial thoughts:
- I'm glad Clint Eastwood's gun porn movie didn't win any major awards.
- I'm not shocked they left Joan Rivers out of the dead celebs montage, after all she made fun of the people who attended for years and years.
- Good on ya Patricia Arquette, John Legend, and Graham Moore.
- It's not the USA citizens only awards Donald Trump, so fuck you and your racism.
- Seriously? John Travolta? Really? How can anyone be around him and not be creeped out?
- I may have seen only one Oscar nominated film this year.
Sunday, February 22, 2015
Saturday, February 21, 2015
Friday, February 20, 2015
That's right. He doesn't want government to waste money on things like feeding the poor or making sure that schools are fully funded or fixing buildings, bridges, and roads. But he does want the government to pay him more money so he can stop others from getting money.
Fuck him. The job of government isn't to enrich assholes like this. It doesn't exist so he can line his pockets. I get by on a fifth of what this whiny piece of shit asshole makes. So, yeah, fuck him. Fuck him with a chainsaw.
Thursday, February 19, 2015
I quite liked this character study and as usual Anna Friel and Romola Garai are stunningly beautiful.
Wednesday, February 18, 2015
Tuesday, February 17, 2015
And here's a special report from the Southern Baptist Men's Committee on Homosexuality in the Boy Scouts of America
Monday, February 16, 2015
I'm currently watching the following TV shows:
- Peep Show-Very funny Mitchell/Webb show from the mid 2000's. They play flatmates who can't stay out of each others lives. It also features a cornucopia of recent British comic talent and many hot British and Canadian babes.
- Magic City-Very cool, very stylish show about shady characters in late 1950's/early 1960's Miami. I started watching mainly to see Jessica Marais who was on Packed to the Rafters, and now I'm hooked.
- Spartacus-I had seen the first two series of this show and I binge watched them again because I wanted to immerse myself in the show before I started the third series. It's still violent, bloody, filled with nudity, brimming with intrigue, and still very good.
- Downton Abbey-Watching the current series and still very much liking it. Sparky is a bit tired of it, but I'm still all in on it.
- Being Human (USA)-I wasn't prepared to like this US version of the British show about a vampire, a werewolf, and a ghost who live together but I do. I like it much more than the British version. The characters are more interesting and more fleshed out and even though it has more episodes, it moves at a brisker pace.
- Great British Bake Off-This is my favorite new 'reality' show. They stuck a bunch of British baking aficionados in a tent and they make them bake stuff. I love seeing the shit they bake and how the judges react. It always leaves me hungry but I watch anyway. And I love these three gals on the show:
Saturday, February 14, 2015
Friday, February 13, 2015
I found this book kid's book at a thrift store a while back. It's about mid century Christian missionaries who take their kids to New Guinea. It was in a school library and it had been checked out once in it's 30 some year life there, perhaps because no one cared about the life of these Christian busy bodies, or because it spooked the kids who picked it up and saw that the author dedicated to all boys and girls who love Jesus Christ.
Seriously, on behalf of all white westerners, I apologize for the shit missionaries said and did. It was and is still all lies, please indigenous people everywhere, go back to being the awesome people you were before Christians came and fucked with your country.