Thursday, January 10, 2008

I regret to inform you...

...that I've been tagged by Katie Schwatrz. With this tag I am supposed to tell you about 5 things I regret and 5 things I don't regret. Here goes:

1) I regret not doing better in college.
2) I regret smoking as much pot as I did when I was younger.
3) I regret that I did not move to NY to pursue an acting career when I was in my early 20's.
4) I regret I never learned to play a musical instrument.
5) I regret the times I did not speak out against stupidity and injustice when I had the chance.

Wait! I just remembered what Edith Piaf said, "Non, je ne regrette rien." (No, I regret nothing.)



1) I don't regret acting stupid or cracking stupid jokes. Laughter is something the world needs more of and I'm glad I can make people laugh. If folks are laughing then they're not fighting or arguing.
2) I don't regret raising hell in college. The school I went to had been taken over by conservative religious nut bags who wanted everyone to be like Stepford children. I'm damn glad I never bought into their brand of twisted Christianity.
3) I don't regret not seeing most of my family anymore. It took me a long time to realize that most of the people on my father's side of my family are whack jobs who stress me out. I miss seeing my cousin's offspring but if they ever want to see me they know where I live.
4) I don't regret wearing my politics on my sleeve and on the back of my truck. It's a pretty conservative area of TN where I live but as long as I live here I'll be letting others know that I am not a right winger.
5) I don't regret stiffing the credit card companies after my quadruple bypass.


I regret that I'm not going to tag anyone but if you'd like to do this then go ahead.

10 comments:

Joe said...

Thanks for the Edith Piaf quote "I regret nothing", coming from yourself and not from the mouth of someone in the Bush administration, is good to hear.

What college are you talking about? I'm curious.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Bubs-The college in question is King College in Bristol, TN.

Cup said...

So glad you don't really regret my regrets. I was tagged, too, and my post will be similar.








But probably not as cool.

Joe said...

Dr MVM, so it's safe to say that the "King" in the college's name refers not to Elvis, or Martin Luther Jr, but to the King-of.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Bubs-It was named for a minister named King.

Fran said...

I love Katie. I got tagged too. We can't tag anyone anyway... she tagged everyone that little knish of a blogger!

Katie Schwartz said...

I love your lists. Absolutely fantastic, especially the Edith Piaf quote.

kelsi said...

this reminded me of a poem by vera pavlova. i even googled the text for your edification:

If there is something to desire,
there will be something to regret.
If there is something to regret,
there will be something to recall.
If there is something to recall,
there was nothing to regret.
If there was nothing to regret,
there was nothing to desire.

so, in the end, there is nothing to regret.


right?

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Beth-Sure it will.

Fran-What's not to love about Katie?

Katie-I love you, thanks for the tag!

Kelsi-Yes.

Tanya Espanya said...

I regret it took me so long to slither over here and see your list.