Friday, January 4, 2008

Dr. Monkey's Movie Review Cubed

The Hoax is a very good film. It tells the story of Clifford Irving's audacious attempt to pass off a fake autobiography of Howard Hughes. This film hits on all cylinders, the script and look of the movie are good, the performances by Richard Gere, Alfred Molina, Hope Davis (who makes a stunning brunette by the way), and Marcia Gay Harden (despite being saddled with the worst cinematic hairdo of the decade and who uses a pretty bad accent) were all stellar, and the director, Lasse Hallstrom, did a fine job. The extras are good and so is the soundtrack in the film. I highly recommend this movie.


Little Children was one of the most disquieting films I have ever seen. No one in this films ends up getting what they think they want. It's a troubling and at times hard film to watch because one can imagine these sort of things go on all the time in the suburbs. Having said that, I really liked this film. It's one of those movies that sticks with you, the story, the performances, it was all just hauntingly good. It's a depressing film on many counts though so if you don't like sad or provocative movies I don't recommend it for you. Why Kate Winslet has not won an academy award is beyond me, she deserved it for this film, as did her nominated co-star Jackie Earl Haley. Ladies, there is some serious beefcake in this movie so if you like to see buff dudes and you don't mind having to look at Kate Winslet nude then check this one out. Also, the guy who does the voiceover through out the film has possibly the best speaking voice ever. Oh yeah, Trini Alvarado is in this movie as well, you may remember her from Beaches but I fell in love with her when I saw her in Times Square.
The rap against this movie is that it seems like an extended version of the TV show. Well, like the song says, "Ain't nuthin' wrong with that...." A mediocre episode of The Simpsons is better than 95% of what's on TV any day of the week and this movie adaption is better than 80% of the films on DVD now. It works, the comedy, the voiceovers, the story, everything. I you like the TV show, you'll love this movie because you finally get to hear some of the beloved characters cuss and you get to see Bart naked. It's funny and I look forward to seeing it again some time.

10 comments:

Joe said...

I've never heard of Little Children, thanks for the tip. I'm looking forward to seeing the Simpsons movie one of these days.

You're right about a mediocre episode being better than most tv too.

Ed said...

I haven't seen The Hoax or Little Children yet, but I have seen The Simpsons Movie. I've been a fan of The Simpsons since it was first broadcast. It could easily be the most subversive show on television. Brilliant social commentary. As you say, The Simpsons are better than 95% of anything on TV these days, but it seemed to me that they didn't really have any idea how to turn a great TV show into a great movie. As a result, The Movie was good as a long TV episode, but lacking something as a movie. I still laughed when I watched it, though. Now I'll have to check out The Hoax and Little Children.

dguzman said...

I really want to see Little Children, but I'm kinda afraid it will depress me. But I may have to just suck it up, if only to see Kate Winslet in the buff! I can't believe she hasn't won an award either--she's good in everything she does.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen Little Children, although Perrotta's original novel sits unread on my shelf. Both are on my list, but I think I'll read the novel first.

I definitely have to get around to seeing the Simpsons movie. I think the show has been in a bit of rut for a while so it hasn't been my highest priority to see. Still it has its moments. And I want to see Spider-pig!

Cup said...

Loved The Hoax. I was around during the actual news story, andit always fascinated me. Richard Gere and Alfred Molina were brilliant, don't you think?

I read Little Children and recently saw the movie. It's one of those films that I can't quite say I enjoyed ... but both the book and film hooked me.

p.s. My nipples are better than Kate's, I was happy to discover.

Micgar said...

Monkey- you always have the best movie reviews! I always come away thinking that I would see what you have recommended! thanks!

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to the Simpsons movie! If it is just like a long episode, that's great since it's one of the best shows of all time.

Some cartoon show movie adaptaions have surpassed that source material, like Beavis and Butthead and The Powerpuff Girls. I have high hopes for Samurai Jack, too.

I saw Little Children and it was more disturbing than I expected. I love Kate but this was not my favorite of hers. Have you seen Hideous Kinky?

Anonymous said...

That Tom Perotta guy writes great novels, and they make the transition to screen very well. Election was one of them. I really liked Little Children.

Freida Bee said...

I really liked Little Children>= also. I like realistic movies like that (if you call that kind of hotness realistic.) It has some elements of one of my all-time favorites, The Player.

Thanks for the heads up on The Hoax. Richard Gere is a mixed bag for me. I really like him, but after that salsa dancing movie (which I haven't seen. Is it good? I'm doubtful.) I have been weary. I shall rent it soon (not the salsa one, the other.)

THe Simpson's movie is in my house right now and I have heard nearly every part while my kids or husband have been watching it the past week and it sounds like an episode, but yes, those are excellent viewing. I need to watch it before we take it back.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Bubs-Check out Little Children but only if you're not feeling "blue."

Ed-Check 'em out.

Dguzman-I like seeing Kate nude because she looks like a real woman.

MWB-Spider pig rules.

Beth-I'll have to see your nips so I can compare them with Kate's.

Micgar-You are most welcome.

Fourthcorner-Yes, I saw Hideous Kinky and I liked it very much. I also loved Holy Smoke too.

Kirby-I'll have to read something by him soon. Thanks for the recommend.

Freida-The Hoax is well worth your time. Gere is fantastic in it.