Wednesday, December 5, 2007

O, Christmas Tree

The cookie party last Saturday must have put us in the holiday mood because the day after we put up our tree and Sparky decorated the rest of the house for the holidays. For two people who don't go to church or recognize any of the religious mumbo jumbo that goes along with Christmas we sure as hell have a shit load of holiday decorations. And when I say shit load, I mean we have five big boxes and four and a half totes full of Christmas stuff.

Now I'm sure some of you are scratching your heads and wondering why two non-believers would decorate for Christmas and put up a tree. Well it's like this kids, we're both cultural Christians, that is both our families went to church and professed to believe in Christianity as we grew up. Along the way Sparky and I grew out of the need to believe in that stone age stuff. For me, and maybe Sparky too but I really can't speak for her, Christmas is about celebrating the past year and showing family and friends how much you love them. It's also about spending time with and maybe some money on those you love. I like to give presents because I like making people I love happy. I don't go overboard like I used to, mainly because I don't make as much money as I used to, so now I put more thought into what I give to people on my list. I'm also more charitable this time of year, especially when I see the Salvation Army kettles, because when I was a poor kid growing up in the projects in Detroit we were on the receiving end of more than one charity during more than one Christmas.

Anyway, here's a few shots of the Christmas tree we have up at el Casa de Monkey (and yes, it's a fake tree):We have a lot of toy type ornaments, cloth birds, snowmen, and Santas.

That's one of my favorite ornaments, the bushy beard Santa on the bike. We have three of them and when I see them they always make me smile.

Would you look at that? Someone stuck a mini Halloween sock monkey on the tree! Who would have done such a thing?
Probably the same person who hung the other mini sock monkey on the other side of the tree. That red star a new tree topper we got just this year. I really like it. It gives the tree a "Communist" look, especially when you stand back and see all the other red ornaments. Hey, now that I've shown you mine, maybe you'll show me yours.

13 comments:

Distributorcap said...

is it me of does that tree look a little like the leaning tower of Pisa-tree

Dr M you can come lite my Hannukah lites any time

Fran said...

I totally LOVE it.

And I am not just saying this because of this this.

Really.

Katie Schwartz said...

that is a fabulous tree and I love your holiday spirit! the monkeys.... so you, child.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Dcap-One has to bend the tree to make the tree topper look good sometimes. And thanks for pointing it out, I'll be sure to do the same for you sometime. :)

Fran-Ok, ok, I'll get on it later. I promise.

Jewgirl-Happy Hannukah to you my little bubbie!

Splotchy said...

Any time you feel the need to be queasy, be comforted by the fact that my hippie light show Christmas tree awaits you.

Crayons said...

Monkey
I grew up in an atheist household, and yet we still celebrated Christmas. It's a cool holiday in the darkest time of the year. Your ornaments look much like ours -- rather diverse in provenance.

I boycott it on a personal level, but I secretly enjoy watching the way others celebrate.

Ho ho ho

Joe said...

I dig that tree, with the monkey and the communist star and all those big ornaments...it's wonderful!

Don't let these rightwing xtian fuckers steal Christmas from you!

The Hannity O'Reilly "Christians" can have Christmas when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers!!!!

Missy said...

OH! I love it!

We decided not to get a tree this year....now I sort of wish we would!

I have lots of fun ornaments from all the years of my life.

I love the monkey witch on the tree!

Whiskeymarie said...

Nice tree! We're not putting up our silver-aluminum 50's tree this year, but if I decide to decorate my hair or something I'll let you know...

Mary Ellen said...

I love that tree! Especially the monkey. My daughter used to have a huge collection of toy monkeys when she was in high school and I still find myself picking up a few when I'm out shopping.

I also noticed the red bicycle...I have that ornament on my tree, this is the first time I've seen anyone else who has one. I feel so special.

First time I've come to this blog, I'll have to check it out more often...thanks to FranIAM, of course!

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Pretty tree!

We are getting ours this weekend, and always end up buying the Charlie Brownest one we can find, because we prefer those. We also choose the last kitten in the litter at the humane society, but that's another story.

Suzy said...

Beautiful. But where's the unicorn on a skateboard? (Family joke.)

We'll be getting our tree when Cinderbelle comes home from college in a couple of weeks.

Our ornaments too, are very diverse and sentimental. Most of them have a story attached, and each of us has our favorites. Maybe I'll blog about it someday.

If you email me your mailing address, I'll make you your very own, one-of-a-kind, Ukrainian egg ornament. Deal?

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Splotchy-Your tree is qutie trippy and I like it.

Crayons-Ho ho ho back at ya sweetie.

Bubs-Those bastards will never take Christmas from me, I'm Mr. Secular Christmas.

Missy-Get a tree, you'll hate yourself if you don't.

Whiskey-Oh man what I'd give to see a retro silver tree.

Mary Ellen-Great minds must think alike about ornaments. Thanks for stopping by.

Barb-I grew u p on Charlie Brown trees. :)

Suzy-I'll give you mine if you give me yours. Deal?