Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A Dr. Monkey Movie Review

I watched a highly disturbing film on Sundance channel last night called Strange Culture.It's about the case of Steve Kurtz who's wife died of cardiac arrest and when the EMT's came to take her body away they freaked out over the art exhibits that were in the Kutrz's home. The Kurtz's were, part of an artist collective called the Critical Art Ensemble that did art that called attention to the corporations who try to patent live things and the genetically modified foods they produce. They also highlight how the US government is a tacit partner in the hijacking of our food supply by the multinational corporations.

When these paramedics saw the petri dishes of bacteria that were to be used in the upcoming CAE show at MassMOCA (Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art), they called the FBI who then proceeded to imprison Mr. Kurtz illegally in his darkest moments of grief. The US Government sought and obtained an indictment of Mr. Kurtz, they at first wanted to charge him with being a bio terrorist but when it became apparent that they could not make those charges stick, due to the fact that the bacteria he was using in the art show was not harmful nor illegal for anyone to possess, they decided to prosecute Mr. Kurtz and another man for wire and mail fraud, even though no fraud was committed. The government has spent millions of dollars to prosecute an innocent man who had the gall to make art that mocked and questioned the corporations who are fucking with our food supply. They have gone out of their way to try to make an example of Mr. Kurtz and in so doing they are trying to silence dissent and the people who speak out against the corporations like Monsanto and in a larger sense the US government under the Bush junta.

It's truly chilling to think that if they can prosecute artists like Steve Kurtz for trying to question what's in genetically modified food and showing the link to corporations who make the Frankenfood and the government, then who else will they prosecute and try to silence? Bloggers like me? People who don't consume enough? Poor people? People who don't sign loyalty oaths? Atheists? Jews? People who don't love their Reich wing agenda? Anti war activists?

I urge you to watch this film and to find out more about this case here. I fear no terrorist but I do fear what they've (Republicans and Democrats alike) done to our country and our civil liberties in this crazy war for oil. We lost our freedoms when they passed the Patriot Act and all those other laws that are used to fight the war of terror.

11 comments:

BAC said...

How sad that I am not at all surprised.


BAC

Ubermilf said...

BAC makes a good point.

I think I'm running out of shock and outrage. This stuff's become commonplace.

How horrible is that?

Freida Bee said...

oooh, I want to see this one. Thanks for all you do for the blogging, film viewing community, TBFVC. WE really appreciate it.

Joe said...

Unbelievable. I vaguely remember reading something about this guy a few months ago.

It's a sad commentary both on my attention span, and on this administration, that an outrage like this can be forgotten so quickly because there's always another 10 or 20 outrages ready to take its place in one's consciousness.

Missy said...

Oh I saw that! I am glad you watched it too. So disturbing and frustrating. It was also an interesting presentation of the story. I told everyone I know about it.

My husband recently got an introduction to Arabic book/DVD. I suppose now we are with the terrorists and they have sufficient evidence to detain us.

dguzman said...

Wow, I will definitely check this out. I remember hearing about it but then it just, as Bubs said, got replaced by twenty other outrages. I think I'm on outrage overload. (as proof, I offer the fact that as I typed "outrage overload" my musical mind launched into some power chords, and I heard my inner hair-band/heavy-metal singer doing the lyrics: "Outrage (beat) overload! It's an outrage (beat) overload!"

Oh god.

bubbles said...

I worry a lot about how our civil liberties and freedoms have been whittled away. Not everything is subject to control of law - even if it is percieved as "bad".

Our local public high school is probably going to start conducting random drug testing. They will start with atheletes, but want to be able to randomly test all students. It makes me sick. I don't condone drug use, which is what everyone jumps to when they hear me object. I have an issue with random testing in general. What right do they have to test a kid without cause? What happened to have *reasons* for search?

This is just one of dozens of every day example of government systems driving our rights right out of our lives "for our own good"... I agree with you. When will we have to cry out for it to stop? Most people just keep accepting it because we can't fight the lawyers that we pay for with our own tax dollars.

Arghhhhh! See...now you got me started...

I'll stop now... (deep breaths, deep breaths)

Life As I Know It Now said...

I am going have to do a hard target search for this DVD in order to add it to my collection.
Have you seen "Who Killed the Electric Car"? I watched that last night and it's really good too.
Ditto what everyone else said.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Bac-Yes, it is sad.

UberMILF-It's pretty bad.

Freida-I'm all about helping others.

Bubs-It's their plan to keep us constantly bombarded with scandals and outrages so we don't notice what they're doing to us.

Missy-I remember reading about it on your blog first.

Dgizman-Yes, check it out and be prepared to be outraged yet again.

Bubbles-We already live under a dictator, I worry about him leaving when it's time.

Liberality-Yeah I saw that film and it made me hate corporations all the more.

vikkitikkitavi said...

Never heard about this. Thanks for the recommend.

Suzy said...

"We already live under a dictator, I worry about him leaving when it's time." Oh yes, my friend. I think about the same thing.

Thanks for writing about this case. I remember when it first happened, and I wondered from time to time what had happened since then.

We are living in dangerous times, and I am worried that more people do not understand that.