Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

Now that we're full on into the festival of Zappadan I can reveal that this was the only Zappa album I owned.

Frank willing though, I'll be rectifying that sometime soon.

I loved Frank Zappa because he was avant garde and he was anti authoritarian to the nth degree. Sure I love his music but for me the best part of the Frank Zappa experience was how he stood up for everyone's right to free speech at the end of his life. I loved how he socked it to Tipper Gore and Robert Novak and all the other people who wanted to censor what he and other artists said. I mourned his death for many years and I can't tell you all how happy I am there something like Zappadan exists.

6 comments:

dguzman said...

I don't believe I've ever heard a Zappa song, but I too admired him for his politics at the end. And WTF was Tipper thinking back then? Sheesh.

mark hoback said...

If you've only got one, that's not a bad choice, if only for the wonderful Uncle Remus. (If you want to try another, go for Hot Rats, a great introduction to his musical side).

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Dguzman-No life is complete until you've heard some Zappa.

Mark-I'll check Hot Rats out, thanks for the tip.

tomfarr said...

But if it is the political side you enjoy, I highly recommend You Are What You Is.
Good music, too!

darkblack said...

And a fine choice it was too.

FZ really can offer something for everyone...Even for aficionados of that naughty country music.

;>)

Ed said...

Zappa was one of the smartest people in the public eye. Shortly before he died, he was running for president, and I couldn't wait to vote for him. I think Tipper actually had a thing for him. If you can find some of the debates between the two, there was certainly a bit of flirtation going on. And, yes, I would also recommend Hot Rats. If you want to hear the best (weirdest?) off-broadway show never to hit the stage, check out Thing Fish. (Warning! Parental discretion advised!) Mad scientists, fairies on a string, Mammy-nuns; it has it all.