Saturday, November 10, 2007

Let's go grocery shopping!

The work crew who are building the corporate office building that is literally right across from the parking area of our condo broke a water line last night and so while I was waiting for some prescriptions to be filled I went to a local grocery store to get a gallon of drinking water. You know that one grocery store in your area where it's always 1979? Well, I went to my local 1979 grocery store this morning, I don't usually shop at this local chain, I shop at another instead. But I went there because it was close to the local pharmacy I patronize.

And of course I had my digital camera with me, so let's go shopping, downtown Johnson City, Tennessee style!

No worries you haters from across the country, just because the name of the store is "White's Fresh Food" they let anyone shop there now. Actually, the family that own the place is last name is White, hence the name.

The first thing you see when you walk in are the shelves o' value! Mmmm, lots of off brand and salvaged groceries can be found here in the shelves o' value. Most everywhere else yellow means caution or warning but at White's yellow means savings!

When you turn the corner you find yourself lost in a world of produce. Well, not so much a world of produce as it is maybe a tiny speck of produce. You want exotic stuff like red or yellow bell peppers? Jalapeno peppers? Tamarind? Fresh ginger? Garlic bulbs? Well forget about that shit because you're only getting the bare minimum here. And you're damn lucky to get that.

But then I saw something that caught my eye, something that drew me like a magnet, something that due to my years of bad eating habits made me powerless to resist it's siren song, what I saw was, if you'll look to the top of the picture above, a sign promoting SMOKED MEATS!


I ran towards the sign giddy with anticipation over what rich meaty delights might be in store (pun intended?) for me. Imagine my let down when I saw this:It was simply a wall of luncheon meats. Damn them for raising my hopes like that!

Off I went with hopes diminished. I spied aisles that were not quite overflowing but instead just flowing with stuff, food and non food items alike.

I looked up and I saw the at one time state of the art security system and I knew right then that I had better behave myself.


Then I looked up and saw quite a bit of water/giant mutant rat damage. I knew right then that my life might be in danger. So I decided to get my gallon of water and get the hell out of there.

I hurried past the seasonal merchandise aisle. I knew that soon, very soon, these shelves would groan under the weight of cheap Christmas crap that would be made in China.


I rushed past the shelves that contained off brand soda. I imagined that they would use this as the tag line in their commercials, "Hey, it's almost as good as the well known brands." The irony of course is that none of that shit is good, well known or off brand.


Then I walked hurriedly past white bread.
And more white bread.

Then I found the water and I bought my gallon and I hurried out. I was never so glad so be out of 1979 again. Whew! I'm thankful this time I made it out of 1979 without all that awkward teenage angst, zits, and strawberry double wide rolling papers. By the time I got to the pharmacy my geezer-esque prescriptions were ready and I drove home all the while cursing the speed demon teens who were flying by me doing every bit of 50 miles an hour on the interstate.

18 comments:

austin said...

We must live near each other, as this White's is also my nearby 1979 grocery store. I usually get beer and cat food there and have seen some really odd things in that place.

XUP said...

I loved the '70s. Cool tune, pure smoke, uncomplicated grocery stores, 3 kinds of blue jeans...

Anonymous said...

I think I might have stopped in at this place in 1982, while on my way to a friend's cabin near South Holsten lake. Is it possibly the same store?

Anonymous said...

I agree, they really are guilty of false advertising with that smoked meats sign.

Snad said...

Two things, Monkey:
First, I think the sign should have read

"Smoked? Meats!" - as in, if you have been smoking that wacky tobacky, these are the meats for you!

Second, in the soda aisle: Frostie's is the BEST Rootbeer on the planet and I dare you to prove me wrong. Oh yeah, Yoo Hoo is pretty fun on it's own. You really gotta love it. When I was a kid growing up in Chicagoland, I always looked forward to a trip to southern Illinois so we could have a Yoo Hoo. It is a carbonated chocolate soda that tastes much better than it sounds (activities suggested in #1 are not necessary).

Joe said...

Forget that off-brand soda. Right above it was an ample supply of Yoo-Hoo. Surely, nearby, there was a display of Moon Pies?

That store almost reminds me of the grocery store in the original "The Blob". You're lucky to have such a place to shop.

lulu said...

This is 5-6 times larger than any grocery store in Dhaka, and has a much more impressive selection of lunch meats.

I would give anything for a can of yoo-hoo right now.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Austin-Small world, huh.

Urban-You're a gal after my own
heart.

Morse-It blows me away you've been to South Holston Lake. You probably went to a White's nearer to Bristol.

Kirby-It almost gave me a woody.

Snad-I agree Frostie's is great root beer. Unfortunately for me they use high furctose corn syrup to sweeten it so I can't drink it anymore. I'm giving up HFCS for good, or trying to anyway.

Bubs-Of course there were Moon Pies. Have you ever had one microwaved for a 30 seconds? It's hillbilly heaven.

Lulu-When you get back to the USA come on down and we'll have lunch meat and Yoo Hoo's for dinner.

Distributorcap said...

Dr M -- that supermarket is actually so 1978, 1979 was much more progressive.......

what is choice soda? do you get a choice

GETkristiLOVE said...

Was there anyone in that store besides you?!

Dr. Zaius said...

If only Homeland Security had that clever state of the art security system they could have avoided all of these terrorists and hurricanes!

Linda-Sama said...

oh my god, that's the Store that Time Forgot! and it look exactly like a grocery store in my town....AAARGH!

Blueberry said...

Thanks for the tour. That looks like a rat slide coming down from the ceiling, and a fun one too. White's white bread, and all those top-quality beverages! Here in Texas we have the HEB grovery chain, which is usually pretty nice and not stuck in the 70s, but the name stands for H. E. Butt, the founders of the chain, which used to be called H. E. Butt Grocery. I am not making that up.

bubbles said...

We had one of those little home town stores when I lived in Connecticut. In that town all the senior citizens loved to shop there because you could find what you wanted without walking for miles. Maybe not your brand and maybe not the size - but in a pinch you were pretty much sure to get what you were looking for.

Little tip: convex mirrors should always be avoided. It's not a crime thing, it's all about vanity... just say'in.

dguzman said...

The 1979 store in my area is actually from 1959, and it's called Burkholder's. It's that Mennonite store I talked about in my interview a while back. I love that place! Of course, if I want anything exotic like an artichoke or cilantro, I'm outta luck!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Dcap-The first rule of comedy is agree and add.

Kristi-I tried to protect the innocent by not photographing them.

Dr. Zaius-And yet they refuse to learn.

Linda-All cities must have one of these stores.

Bluberry-HE Butt Grocery, now that's funny.

Bubbles-I looked damn good in that mirror.

DGuz-I forgive Mennonites for not offering much choice but not White's, they're too cheap to offer much choice.

Deepti said...

Oh my. So I probably shouldn't ask for asparagus and couscous here?

NotSoccer Mom said...

oh this is too hysterical.

i've actually been to an HE Butt's in Texas before...

but sorry, nothing like that near me in CA!