Monday, July 30, 2007

I must be slow

Because I got tagged again! This time one of the other Chicagoland bloggers, Johnny Yen, tagged me with the five random questions meme. Since I'm a Midwesterner by birth and I really like him and his blog I'll go ahead and answer his questions

1. If you could be there to change just one event in history, what would it be?
I know I'm supposed to be all like, "I'd kill Hitler," or "I'd stop the Crusades," or "I'd stop them from making Amityville Horror 2." But honestly I really believe all that stuff from the time travel science fiction movies about not changing world events because of how it will affect the present. But if I had to choose one thing that might actually benefit tons of people, I'd stop the idiot nobleman from Britain who brought rabbits to Australia. He wanted something to hunt but the rabbits bred like crazy, ate like crazy and turned thousands of acres of land into wasteland. Or maybe I'd just stop the British from settling down under, imagine how different Australia and New Zealand would if the French had settled there instead of the Brits.

2. If you could be any actor or actress who ever lived, who would it be, and why?

I'd be Marilyn Monroe. She was one of the most beautiful women ever and certainly the most beautiful actress of her generation. She was smart, funny, and talented. And she slept with some of the most interesting men of the 20th century, such as the Kennedy brothers, Joe DiMaggio, and Arthur Miller. I'd try to handle the whole fame and sleeping with JFK thing better than she did though.

3. What was your favorite Saturday morning cartoon show?

The original Spiderman from the 1960's, you know, the one with that great theme song. The animation is crude by today's standards but it rocked my little world when I was a kid. On the other hand, I hated any show with talking animals because even at a young age I knew that animals could not talk.

4. Beatles or Rolling Stones?

I'm a Rolling Stones guy. But it's very close. In fact, I say I'm 51 % Stones and 49% Beatles.

This was the first Stones album I bought as a teenager. I wore it out I played it so much. I recently bought the CD and I have to guard against playing it too much or my gf will kill me. This is another Stones album I love. I remember vividly buying it at Record Bar (Anyone beside me remember Record Bar?) and getting home and listening to it stoned out of my mind, back then in the late 70's pot was $40 an ounce so I stayed stoned much of the time.
This is my favorite Beatles album. I know it's cheating to name a greatest hits collection your favorite but I don't care, so nah nah nah. I listened to this so many times my freshman year in college that it's no wonder I ended up with a .094 GPA that semester.
5. If you could be any fictional literary figure ever, who would it be?

I'm gonna cheat and name a female and a male.

The female one I'd choose to be is Sissy Hankshaw Gitch from this novel:


Sissy is a hotty with huge thumbs who gets to be a fashion model, an agitator for change, a ranch hand, and an all around great heroine. Most everyone also falls in love with her and she sleeps with her Native American husband, her best buddy on the ranch Miss Bonanza Jellybean, and The Chink. Everyone loves her and she has great adventures. By the way, the movie version sucks hairy balls so avoid it like the plague, the book however is fantastic.

The male character I would like to be is Ron Weasley.

Ron comes from a great family, is best friends with Harry, a funny guy, into sports, a stand up best bud, and he ends up with one of the hottest gals in Hogwarts, Hermione. Ron rocks, even in that sweater.

I'm not gonna tag anyone but if you want to answer Johnny's questions too, feel free. By the way Johnny, excellent questions.

6 comments:

Ben Varkentine said...

Gee, why would you want to stop them from making Amityville Horror 2?

It's only one of the most gratuitously disturbing movies ever made...

Katie Schwartz said...

love your meem. you're a riot. love that you want to be marilyn monroe. I just think that's fuckin' tits!

joshhill1021 said...

I love Marilyn so that answer was a great answer. I never really cared for Cowgirls get the Blues, but as with all tom robbins books better than most anything else out there. But when you describe Sissy that way, I guess I need to re-read that book.

Johnny Yen said...

I just finished Jared Diamond's "Collapse" a few weeks ago, and he goes into the situation with the rabbits in Austrialia. What imbecility!

I read that some guy back in the 1800's decided he wanted to populate Baltimore with every species mentioned in Edgar Allen Poe's works, so he released a bunch of birds not native to the United States-- a lot of them have become pest species.

I've read that Monroe was very, very intelligent-- read Sartre and Kierkagaard, etc.

It's fascinating, a woman who could be married to Joe Dimaggio and Arthur Miller. I'd be hard-pressed to find a starker contrast.

I loved that theme song too!

I'm with you there on the Beatles/Stones thing. I started out as a total Beatlemaniac-- I had that blue album-- the red album was actually the first album I owned, though (it had their earlier hits).

Tom Robbins' "Still Life With Woodpecker" is hands-down my favorite book. I think Bernard Mickey Wrangle has been my role model.

Johnny Yen said...

Great answers, BTW!

Dr. Zaius said...

Bunny picture!