Thursday, May 21, 2015

Thanks for all the laughs

I watched Dave's final show.  It was great.  He was gracious, funny, and self deprecating to the very end.  He's been a true pro all his TV life.

I haven't watched much in the past few years, especially since we cut cable and went to streaming, but I'll miss him just the same.  He was always there for me in college, when I worked second shift in jobs after college, when he made the jump to CBS and the move to 11:30 PM.  I have fond memories of Late Night on NBC, the comedy they did on that show was so fresh and innovative for it's day, it blew my pot addled mind back then.  I hope I'll always remember things like him dropping stuff off buildings, sparring with Jane Pauley, Terri Garr, Brother Theodore, the uncomfortable Larry Bud Melman stuff, his mom, Mujibur and Sirajul, Biff Henderson, when he came back from his heart surgery, the Andy Kaufmann craziness, all the times Bill Murray livened things up.  Dave's show was there for me during my lean years when I didn't have much, during the days when I worked for that awful truck tire company, when I met Sparky, when I lived in Knoxville, and when I came back to Johnson City.

He's been a constant, a teacher, a friend, and a huge influence.  I've been a fan of his since the 1970's.  I'll miss him like crazy.  Hopefully I'll hit the Powerball or Mega Millions jackpot and I can buy a place in St. Bart's and maybe we can run into one another and he'll let me buy him a beer.

So long pal, I'll miss the holy hell out of you.

No comments: