Tuesday, September 10, 2013

What I'm watching

I'm nearly done with the first five seasons of Mad Men.  Like I said before, it's good, it's very engrossing in fact, but it's not the greatest thing on TV.  It snuck up on me and sucked me into the story and the story continues to take twists and turns that keep me hooked.

I finished all six seasons and the film adaptation of the Danish show Klown.  The series was still very funny right up until the end but a few episodes felt forced and off the mark.  The film, on the other hand, is a masterpiece of comedy of the uncomfortable.  They did things in the film they couldn't do on the TV series and it made me howl with laughter.  I highly recommend the series and the film.

I'm watching Quickdraw on Hulu PLUS and it's pretty good.  It's a non scripted comedy set in the old west.  The show's creators write a loose outline of the episode and the actors improvise their lines, it works most of the time.  The supporting characters are often the funniest characters in the show.

I quite liked the first three episodes of the British limited series Run on Hulu PLUS.  It tells the loosely connected stories of some diverse people living in modern day London.  I kept falling asleep in the fourth and last episode, so that should tell you something about it.

I really liked the British food series The Supersizers Go...that starred food writer Giles Coren and Sue Perkins.  Coren and Perkins, the supersizers, take on the dress and cuisine of different eras in British history in the first series and they take on the dress and cuisine of different eras in world history in the second series.  They eat period food made from recipe books from World War 2, Victorian times, the Regency period, the 1980's, the 1970's, ancient Rome, along with other eras and times.  They eat some truly disgusting food and they somehow manage to do it all with a ton of wit and good humor.  For me the real treat of this series, which aired a few years back on British TV and is now on Hulu PLUS, is Sue Perkins.  I find her to be cute, funny, and totally watchable.

3 comments:

gmb said...

Do you need to see the show episodes of Klown before seeing the movie?

Random Thinker said...

I hate when I forget to wipe.

Dr. MVM said...

The film stands on it's own gmb, but if you watch some of the episodes you appreciate it even more.