Sunday, August 30, 2009

Monkey movie reviews times three

Cute, funny movie about a guy, played by Paul Rudd, who has no real guy friends so he sets out to make some before his wedding. His fiancee is played by the oh so cute Rashida Jones.

This movie is in the Judd Apatow school of film comedy but it's not as raunchy as an Apatow movie, but it's still too adult for the young ones. It's chock full of funny performances. Rudd, Jones, and Jason Segel shine in the starring roles. And all the supporting players bring the funny as well.

Recommended.
I saw this one 'On Demand' the other night and I'll admit I kind of wanted to rent it a time or two but I didn't want to sink $4.99 plus tax into doing it. So getting to see it for free was nice.

The short review is it's funny and it was much better than I thought it was going to be. Samberg plays one of those idiot man boys who goofs his way through life until he finally gets what he wants, which is to kick his step father's ass. Samberg is quite winning in this role. At times he's so over the top it's hilarious and at other times he's the epitome of a shy man child trying to make his way in a world he never made. He deserved more credit than the big time movie critics gave him for his performance in this film.

His co-stars shine bright in this farce as well. Especially good are Isla Fisher (who is super cute in this movie but she'll never be super cute enough to make me watch her Confessions of a Shopaholic), Jorma Taccone (as Samberg's younger half brother), Danny McBride (who I like in everything because he's playing essentially the same stupid funny character in everything I see him in), Bill Hader, Will Arnett, and Ian McShane as Samberg's step dad.

This movie is actually worth the price of a rental and I recommend this sweet goofy little comedy.

And finally, a few months ago I bought the remake of Dawn of the Dead on DVD for $3 at Big Lots and I watched most of it again last night. I had seen it before and I loved it and seeing it again reminded me of how much Sarah Polley kicks ass.
Sure Ving Rhames kicks ass in this movie too but really no one kicks more ass than Sarah Polley in this zombie gore fest of a film, just look at her with that shot gun in the photo above, she's barefoot, in her jammies, bloody from being attacked by her undead zombie husband, and she's ready to shoot your ass if you mess with her. Am I a bit prejudiced because she's my adopt-an-actor from Canada? Damn right I am. And on the strength of her performance alone I recommend this zombie movie.

7 comments:

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I agree with what you said about all three movies. Ian McShane is wicked cool in everything he does and his relationship with Sanberg in Hot Rod is very funny. I have been lucky to pretty much watch Sarah Polly grow up on screen here in Canada and she never lets me down. 'Dawn of the Dead' still freaks me out with that little girl zombie at the beginning. Yikes.

Wings1295 said...

Haven't seem the first two, but I do want to.

However I DID see the Dawn of the Dead flick earlier this year and LOVED it, much better than I thought it was gonna be.

erin said...

I'm the only person I know personally that LOVED the Dawn of the Dead remake. The how baby zombie thing was a little too much for me though.

Keith said...

I watched I Love You, Man the other night. I really enjoyed it.

BeckEye said...

I love I Love You, Man, man. And Segel. And Rudd. I'd have either one's babies. Or both.

Cormac Brown said...

You know Rashida Jones is Quincy's daughter, right?

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Cormac-Yeah. I know that. So what?