Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Party of incumbency

Calm down all you Democrats, liberals, and progressives. Arlen Specter switching to the left side of the Senate is good news but don't expect much out of the whole thing. You see my politically naive naifs once elected to a position of power in Washington DC most people abandon all their campaign promises and principles so that they can keep getting re-elected. Now I know there are some exceptions like Dennis Kucinich (my hero!), Russ Feingold, and master of sleaze Saxby Chambliss, the man who never met a corporate lobbyist he didn't want to blow so he could keep taking their money for ever and ever amen. The point is Specter now thinks that seat in the Senate is his because he's been there since the early 1980's and by god he's not going to let a little thing like party affiliation get in his way of hanging on to it until he can appoint his divinely chosen heir.


Yes, if he votes with Democrats on big issues like health care, ending the wars of terror, and the Employee Free Choice Act, which he can now support since he's not got to worry about a Repube-lican primary fight, then it will be a good thing. But if he continues to vote like he has during the Bush years then we're all screwed, blued, and tattooed.


There is one more thing that may happen as a result of Specter's switch. I'm betting that this douchebag
will now join his BFF John McCain and become a Repube-lican. It's something that I would not put past his traitorous ass, because after all we've seen time and again that these slimeballs we keep sending back to the Senate will do anything they can to cling to power.

5 comments:

Matthew Hubbard said...

Can't agree about Lieberman. He doesn't win as a Republican in Connecticut.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I gotta tell you I kinda like the way this young kid Obama is making everyone around him in the Republican party lose their freakin minds. You go boy!

Dean Wormer said...

I really hate the idea that 60 votes are necessary to pass any legislation through the senate and that's just the way the world works. The reason Specter is a big deal (and I agree with your take that in substance it probably won't be) is because the republican party is batshit insane.

Ubermilf said...

I wish there was a simple "like" button for blogger posts, like on Facebook.

I really have nothing to add, but I concur.

I guess I could just type "I agree," but I'm lazy.

Agi said...

Specter = whatever

ubermilf: I wish Blogger had a "re-blog" feature like Tumblr.