Thursday, March 12, 2009

I remember Harvey

I remember hearing the stereotypical jokes about limp wristed swishy homosexuals as I was growing up.

I remember Cousin Psycho calling me "fag," "femmy," "queer," and "faggot" because I was different from him in that I didn't like killing small fur bearing animals and song birds and because I did not try to date rape every girl I went out with.

I remember a time in this country when you could get beaten up for being homosexual, and I'm sad to say that in some places, including the area I live in, this is still true.

I remember a time when it was professional suicide for homosexuals to come out of the closet.

I remember when Harvey Milk became the first out gay man to get elected to public office in this country. I was living in Jonesville, not exactly a hotbed of political tolerance but it turns out it was a hotbed of homosexual activity, especially among females, and I thought it was a good thing that a gay person was finally in a position of power, even if it was in a city that was across the country from me.

I remember when Dan White gunned down Harvey Milk and George Moscone and I remember thinking that it was such a shame that those two men had to die at the hands of such a bigoted asshole.

I remember Anita Bryant's anti homosexual crusade and how the "Christians" in Jonesville backed her publicly and loudly. I remember they said that the homos were going to recruit in the schools because they could not reproduce. I then expected to be recruited but it never happened. It didn't happen in college either. And I was kind of disappointed because I had my response all figured out if they did try to recruit me. I was going to give them the speech I got from girls in high school and college who did not want to date me, "Thanks, really. I'm flattered but I don't like you guys like that. I only like you guys as friends. We can be friends but that's it." Then I was going to give who ever tried to recruit me a chaste hug or a pat on shoulder.

I tell you all that because Sparky and I saw this last night:

And seeing it brought back a lot of memories about the gay rights movement and growing up in the mid and late '70's.

As you all know by now, this film tells the story of Harvey Milk's life in San Francisco when he became an activist and a city supervisor. The film shows parts of Milk's life journey as it mirrored the journey of the gay rights/equality for all movement.

It's a fine film and yes, Sean Penn deserved his Oscar for it. He turned in a fearless performance as he lost himself in this role. He's a big time movie actor, which is different from being a big time movie star. Bruce Willis is a movie star, Sean Penn is a movie actor and if you can't tell the difference then you are a Philistine and you need to stop reading my blog.

I highly recommend this film and even though it's sad, it's actually hopeful too. I think it would have tickled Harvey Milk pink, don't excuse the pun, to see his story get told to millions of people. And I'm pretty sure that Harvey would love what Sean Penn and Gus Van Sant did with his story. I hope closeted gay people see this and it gives them the courage to come out and live their lives honestly. I hope gay teens see it and it gives them hope for a better tomorrow. I hope straight people see it that they get a better understanding of what it is to be gay in this country. I hope everyone sees it and that they then join the fight for equality for gays, lesbians, and transgendered people. I hope this film is seen by the hundreds of thousands of intolerant Christians, Jews, and Muslims, and they they see that their fight against equal rights for gays is misguided and a crime against the gods they claim to love and serve.

I remember Harvey Milk and I hope you will too long after you see this powerful film.

15 comments:

Claire said...

I can't wait to see this. This was one of the first major news events that made a big impression on me.

Mnmom said...

Amen Brother! I remember all that too since we are the same age. I was waiting for it on DVD, and it looks like my wait is over.

themom said...

I'm with you. When I learned they were making this movie, I was ecstatic. Also, hopeful that it would be "accepted" well. It was..and more. I can't wait to get the DVD. Great commentary.

Ubermilf said...

My father always hated Anita Bryant, but he never told me why; he just said it was "political."

I was too young at the time to remember any of this.

Sherry Pasquarello said...

i remember all of this. i really can't wait to see the film.

Johnny Yen said...

My parents were living in the Bay area when Dan White was paroled. The anger in the whole area was palpable.

Dan White was the prototype of the "Angry White Guy," who has failed to deal with the natural change of things, and like Michael Douglas' character at the end of Falling Down is sitting there in disbelief that he is the bad guy.

MommyLisa said...

I loved Sean Penn's acceptance speech - not bad considering I do not like him much...but he is a good actor that is for sure.

My mom would not let us have orange juice for MONTHS after the whole Anita Bryant thing....

barbie2be said...

i can still remember exactly where i was when the news of the shooting came. after a week of hearing about the whole jonestown thing, then the brutal murders of harvey milk and mayor george moscone. i was adrift in trying to make sense of the world.

i am so glad that van sant and penn took a chance on making a movie that was practically guaranteed to not to make friends.

it is a great movie and sean really did it justice.

Karen Zipdrive said...

I was living in Los Angeles when Anita Bryant was on her notorious fag hating tour.
I recall attending "A Star Spangled Night for Human Rights" at the Hollywood Bowl, which was a fundraising concert to counteract her upcoming visit to L.A.
It was amazing, with acts like the L.A. Philharmonic, The L.A. Ballet troup, the band WAR, Bette Midlar, Lily Tomlin, David Steinberg and Richard Pryor.
All went well until it was Richard Pryor's turn to take the stage. He got up there and asked where all of us cocksuckers were when Watts was burning. Then he told us to kiss his rich, Black ass and left the stage.
We were all like this :O
Then Bette Midler came out dressed like the Statue of Liberty and asked if any of us wanted to kiss her rich, white ass.
We said we did.

Travelingman Rick said...

Monkey I am really sorry that you were overlooked by one of our recruiters. I will send someone your way tout suite with a toaster. If your still not interested maybe we could upgrade you to a toaster oven?

Anonymous said...

Amen Dr. M.

A dear friend came out in Dallas around the time of Matt Shephard was killed in Wyoming. It was the bravest thing I've ever seen - that he took a risk with his life just for being who he was.

Lulu Maude said...

Great film. Good post. The people who worked so hard on No on Prop 6 saved a lot of lives and careers. In no way could we anticipate the outcome.

After the film I came home and Googled one of the activists in the film, found out that he's still at it, and thanked him for his efforts.

Gifted Typist said...

lovely tribute and review
I will see it

And I agree with you on Sean Penn's acting. I saw him with Nicole kidman the other night on a flick called The Investigation. He was stunningly good.

dguzman said...

Great post, Dr. M, and I too can't wait to see this one. Have you seen the documentary The Life and Times of Harvey Milk? It's very good too.

You're a good egg, sir. A very good egg.

Distributorcap said...

it was an excellent movie - and i remember the Milk shooting clearly - it was right aftger Jonestown. and as for Anita Bryant - i remember my father saying - someone needs to shake some sense into those oranges of hers.

she tried to repent later on, when her career when downhill - too little too late anita, just like donna summer.