Sunday, August 17, 2008

I'd buy that for a dollar

Once again the magical day known as the Tree Streets yard sale day has come and gone. This was our second year that we attended this hallowed institution and since it wasn't as blazing hot and horribly humid as it was last year the event was quite pleasant. For those of you who do not live in my area, and by my count that's almost everybody who reads this blog, the Tree Streets area is a section of town near the university, East TN State University, where all the streets are named for trees. It's a mixed bag of folks who live there, you get everyone from students to medical professionals to rabid Ron Paul supporters to Obamatons to swinging singles to conservative families. The houses on the streets also vary wildly, some are "fixer uppers" with car seat on the porch and some are $300,000 mansions with manicured lawns that are dotted with pretentious art. So bearing in mind that we didn't want to buy much because we'll be moving soon, we jumped in the yard sale scene and we never looked back.

I love how the items for sale vary so much. One house will have a pile of shitty looking stuff that includes purses made from the soft downy fur that's been harvested from Sasquatch's nut sack:
And another will have boxes of hardback books and vintage paperbacks that is being guarded by a horrendous looking bloody Euro-trash Jesus.
Since the weather was nice, it was sunny and around 75 to 80 F, the streets were littered with all manner of shoppers: Including this hipster doofus who thought he was amusing as heck in his T shirt and tie: This guy spotted a house that was selling doughnuts and 8 by 10 glossy photos of Anita Bryant: Many people were selling drinks and snacks in addition to their trash and old treasures. We were assaulted by many an overzealous kid who wanted us to buy his family's bottled water for a buck or a snack cake for fifty cents. And there were some kind homeowners who thought of all those thirsty dogs out there: Being the smart ass I am, I asked the people who owned the water dish if they had any free water for humans, I told them all they had to do was lead me to their water hose or spigot and I'd be happy. They politely declined my request. I loved, loved, loved this cabinet but there was no way I was going to buy it. It would have put a damper on my day if I had had to lug this around while we made our way through other parts of the sale. It would have looked great in the house we're thinking of making offer on, but we left it for someone else to buy and enjoy.
Our friend Stacy, who lives over on the tree streets, said, "Hey! No pictures!" But you see how well I listened.

Here was a disturbing sight, someone was selling a box full of scissors:I wanted to ask how they came to have so many scissors but I didn't dare since the people who were selling them looked like a family of mad scientists. So we backed away and continued on our yard sale journey.

There are a few constants in yard sales here in the south and they are:1) Some one will always have a pit bull chained up to a tree. This one was nice however. He just wagged his tail as I took his photo and then he went back to eating that stray kid he had snagged earlier.2) Speaking of kids, there are always a plethora of cute kids at yard sales. I love the kids who play with other people toys while their parents shop for second hand clothes and used shoes.3) Someone is always trying to sell what they claim is the last six pack of 1982 World's Fair beer. This beer tasted worse than rancid rat piss back when it was first brewed in 1982, I can only imagine what it tastes like now some 26 years later.

4) And finally in most all big yard sales in the south one also finds antique dealers posing as homeowners. These douchebags try to pass off some third rate bullshit as "antiques" and they expect people to fall for their bull jive. One women had two or three tables with wildly over priced books and magazines on them. I picked up a 1965 Montgomery Wards Christmas catalog and I asked her what she wanted for it, she said, "Twenty dollars." I snorted derisively and told her I'd give her fifty cents for it. She not so politely turned down my offer and I walked away before I said something that would have made me feel better but would have surely mortified Sparky.

All in all though we had a good time and we did end up buying a few small things. Sparky bought two "Indian blankets," a book, and one of those stoneware crocks. I bought some vintage paperback books that I've already scanned and put on Flickr and I got a vintage hardback picture book called Atoms, Energy, and Machines which was published in the '50's and is all about how chemicals and atomic energy are going to give us a much better life in the future and it's chock full of great photos like this one:

I also picked up these two little fellas:
I gave the monkey to my young friend Quinn because he told me the other day that he collects monkeys but I kept the Mexican wrestler dude, I know he's not vintage but I like his look and the cut of his jib just the same.

That's all for this year's event, I'm already looking forward to next year's sale.

18 comments:

Angry Ballerina said...

I want all that stuff!!! The box o blades especially!

Elizabeth said...

I can't wait, either, if next year's post is going to be as brilliant as this one.

Well done, Dr. Monkey!

Little Merry Sunshine said...

Yard sales are A LOT of work. I did one a few weeks ago and when it was all over, I could have slept for days.

I think what amazed me was the crap that people will buy and then the nice stuff they won't. For example, a 25 year old ceiling fan with all its parts that doesn't work sold for $5, but a brand new in the box and never opened programmable 10-cup coffee maker didn't sell for its original asking price of $10 so I lowered it to $5 and it still wouldn't sell. Oh well. I'm sure someone at the women's shelter I donated it to appreciated it.

I did sell almost everything though because I had it all priced to move and it moved - quickly.

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun!

Now I'm going go check out your flickr.

Sounds pleasingly dirty, doesn't it?

Blueberry said...

I've never tasted rancid rat piss. Is it better than Stag?

I love a big community yard sale like that! We have the "City Wide Garage Sale" but it's really a bunch of junk/antique dealers, not just regular folks, and they charge $5 to get in. A better one is where the college kids donate their leave-behinds in Summer and we get a shot a buying it in big cheap piles in Fall.

Odile said...

The dog look more friendly tahn your friend... he even pose for for the camera :P.

No photos.... hahahaha, for me that sounds more like a : Please take photos, a lot of them, but that´s just because I like to bug the people who dislike cameras.

Suzy said...

Dr. Monkey, you have such a way with words. Just when I think you're being serious, you make some droll comment and I burst out laughing (disturbing poor Mr. Ed who is trying to read out on the porch.) Fun post!

Joe said...

When I saw that picture of the guy in the apparatus I thought you were going to say you bought the actual equipment, not the magazine with the picture in it.

It's still cool though.

lulu said...

I totally want that Jesus.

Missy said...

I hosted a friend's garage sale this weekend. Good times, though I was saddened by the LACK of kids! When I was a kid I LOVED going to garage sales and finding treasures...then running home to find change to buy them!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! So funny.

I loved your walk around the yard sales, that cabinet was really nice.

ANITA BRYANT! ugh that witch I'm surprised anyone as any picture left of her that has not been urinated on
or used as toilet paper.

Thanks for sharing the fun!

:peace:

Ricky Shambles said...

Wonderful post - I just missed the World's Longest Yardsale, travels right through Cincinnati, because we were out of town, and will certainly have to go next year.

NotSoccer Mom said...

that cabinet IS gorgeous. hey, that little figurine is FROM a cartoon called el tigre but i can't remember his name. his son is actually el tigre. google it!

Tengrain said...

We have a nearby 'hood that I call "Dead Generals" - but no one else calls it that. Damn elitists.


Regards,

Tengrain

Whiskeymarie said...

I'm having a sale next weekend. You should come and buy some of my crap, don't you think?

dguzman said...

OH MY GOD--I would PAY to see Monkey post about WhiskeyMarie's yard sale!

Sparkleneely said...

These may be two of the funniest captions I have ever read:

One house will have a pile of shitty looking stuff that includes purses made from the soft downy fur that's been harvested from Sasquatch's nut sack

and

And another will have boxes of hardback books and vintage paperbacks that is being guarded by a horrendous looking bloody Euro-trash Jesus.

GENIUS. Pure genius.

Sudeaux Lux said...

Nobody does local flava like you! That fur handbag-- (((shudders)))