Saturday, June 28, 2008

Conversations at a shoe store

Here's part of a conversation I had with a five year old girl at a local shoe store today, her mother was sitting behind me trying on shoes while the young lady and I talked:

Me: (After seeing her give the stink eye to the style of shoe that I was lacing up and getting ready to try on.) What?  Do you think it's ugly?
Little Girl: (Nodding.)  Yep.  It's real ugly.
Me:  You know what?  I think you're right.  I was wavering on whether to buy this style or not.  
Little Girl:  You don't supposed to wear that kind of shoe in summer anyway. (I was looking at hiking shoes.)  You is supposed to wear flip flops or sandals only.
Me:  Oh ok.  (I looked down and noticed that she was barefoot.)  Are you here to buy shoes too?
Little Girl:  Nope.  My brother is getting some football shoes.
Me:  You better get some shoes too, yours appear to be gone.
Little Girl:  Oh no, I wore my sparkly sandals and I took them off over there.  (She pointed to a little pair of sandals next to her mother's purse.)
Me:  Oh ok.
Her Mother:  Lexi, get over here and put your sandals on young lady, we need to go now.
Me:  (To the little girl.) It was nice chatting with you.
Little Girl:  You too.  Don't buy those ugly ones, okay?
Me:  Okay.  Thanks for looking out for me.
Little Girl:  (With a huge smile.)  You're welcome.

13 comments:

Madam Z said...

SO CUTE! I didn't think anything could make me smile tonight, but I was wrong.

Wandering Coyote said...

Awwww...

I still hate kids, though.

Freida Bee said...

I take it you took her advice, wise sir. She's right; you can just slip flip flops off at any time and voila- instant barefoot. It's a veritable Jeebus miracle.

Elizabeth said...

You have a way with the ladies.

Missy said...

LOL. Darling.

Once a little lost boy came up to my friends and I asking for help. We asked what his Mom looked like and he said:

"She has pretty blonde hair and pretty shoes that can't go in the water."

Luckily a member of the pretty blonde haired Mom's search party came up soon after that.

PJ said...

Ah bless. Did you buy the shoes after she left?

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

PJ-I took her advice and I did not buy the really ugly pair, I chose a less ugly pair.

Ed said...

Unless there's a reason to wear regular shoes, (like for work if you've got it, weddings if you're invited) I stick with the kid's advice. Flip-flops all summer long. Smart kid.

Mauigirl said...

I'm on board with the flip flops too. I wish I could wear them all year.

GETkristiLOVE said...

Was she my long, lost daughter?

dguzman said...

I love to ask strangers what they think of the shoes or clothes I'm trying on. You know they'll give you an honest opinion.

Kid's got style--instant-barefoot is the only way to go.

Claire said...

I hope you didn't buy those ugly shoes. Five year old girls in sparkly sandals know whence they speak when it comes to shoes.

Suzy said...

Five year olds are totally awesome human beings. That's why I spend 10 months of every year with them! Glad you had that close encounter, and thanks for writing about it. It made me smile.