Sunday, March 23, 2008

Takin' it to the streets

After psyching our selves up by listening to our favorite pre-protest music, which for us these days is the song Not Ready to Make Nice by the Dixie Chicks, we arrived at the preapproved site for yesterday's Iraq war protest. It was a sunny day with temps in the low 60's but since the wind was blowing it felt more like the high 50's when the wind gusted. Somehow we put up with the cruel indignities the weather tossed at us.

We got our signs and we met up with Snad and John, the stalwarts behind Concerned TN Citizens. We chatted for a moment and then we took our places on the corner and we began brandishing our signs and waving to the people who drove past us in their cars. In very short order others joined us on the corner and the protest began in earnest. We may be mad as hell over this insane war but we're not stupid, so that means we basically want to let others know that not everyone in this conservative are of east TN/southwest VA/western NC supports our Idiot in Chief and his petulant little unconstitutional war so we protest by holding our signs and showing our support for sanity and peace. We shy away from being confrontational and from shouting inflammatory slogans.

The response we got yesterday was generally very positive, which frankly in this conservative area always surprises me but it really shouldn't because when you think about it most people in this country don't support the war so I'd say that most people around here don't support it either but they are just too afraid to speak out and say so. Of course we had some people drive by and show us they thought we were #1 by showing us their middle finger and we had a few that shouted things like, "Go home!" or "Kill all the rag heads!" at us. Others simply ignored us and drove by in their gas guzzlers. One woman shouted at us, "I'm proud my son is in the army!" If I had had the chance I would have told her that we had nothing against people like her son and that we were probably proud of him too. I would have told her our problem was not with her son but with the people who are his commanders who lied to us in order to drag us into a war that is bankrupting our country and causing the deaths of millions of others.

It's rare at our protests when someone get so angry at us that they get out of their car and say something to us, but yesterday was one of those rare times. Some guy ran over to Rev. John and a guy who was standing next to him and he started jabbering about how we were cowards and criminals for daring to be against the war. He insisted that we had no right to protest if we had not been to Iraq or Afghanistan. I'm never one to miss an opportunity to get my nose in someone else's politics, and neither is my friend Snad, so she and I went over to talk to the little bald dude. He got really mad when we told him it was our Constitutional right to speak out and to protest, we not so gently reminded him that the Bill of Rights says that we not only have freedom of speech in this country, we also have freedom of assembly too. He started screaming about the American rights in Iraq and Snad reminded him that there is no such thing as American rights in Iraq and that Iraq was a sovereign country that we invaded illegally. He kept sputtering that we were cowards who had no right to question the war or the men who run it and we kept telling him that it was not only our right, it was our obligation as patriotic Americans to do so. In the end he finally walked away.

Despite that guy's little display of ignorance and the others who flipped us off, I was heartened by the hundreds of people who drove by and honked in support of us and who gave us the thumbs up in support of our position. The tide out here is turning even more against the war of terror on Iraq and Afghanistan and hopefully that tide will be a tsunami that will wash out more pro war politicians in November. All in all it was a good day to protest because the roads were full of people, I'd say at least 1500 people saw us out there. All in all it was a good protest too because I'm sure that someone who was against the war but felt afraid to say it saw us out there and they now know that they are not alone in opposing the war.

And now lets meet some of the 30 some people who were out on the firing line yesterday:

I never can remember the lady in the foreground's name but she's been to a bunch of demonstrations and I'm pretty sure she goes to Rev. John's church. The lady in the purple jacket is also a veteran on the local protest scene.

Speaking of the man, the myth, the legend that is Rev. Shuck, there he is in all his agitating glory.

And that fat bastard is me.


The skinny guy is Snad's husband John and I forgot the woman's name who is next to him.

These fine looking male speicmens name's are Ron and JW. They both had nice things to say about me and my blog so you know I'm not just blowing smoke when I say that they're two of the finest human beings I have ever met and they will go down in history as two of the most intelligent critical thinkers of this or any other time.

There's one of my heroes, Miss Francis. If I'm half as sharp and on the ball as she is when I get to be her age then I'll be doing damn good.

I didn't meet all these people but I was damn glad they were out in the wind with us yesterday.


And finally here's a shot of Sand, she's on the right, and her brother Mike. They, along with Snad's husband John, have been the engines that have driven the anti war movement in this area for the past year and I'm glad to know them and glad to be their friend. If it hadn't been for them Sparky and I would never have become as active in the movement and we would have never met such great folks like Rev. John, Joseph and Vanessa, Miss Francis, Keith and his sons, and all the other folks who are committed to ending the war and to making this country a more just and peaceful place.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Monkey! Thanks for the post, and thanks for allowing me to shamelessly copy your pictures and put them on the CTNC blog, since I was too daft to recharge the battery in our camera before we left the house.

It was a good day, yesterday, and while our friends at the JC Press did not cover us as they often do (I also forgot to give them the heads up we would be there), the Opinion Page Editor, Robert Houk, made mention of us in his Sunday opinion piece - reinforcing my words at the vigil to encourage people to write letters to Congress and the the papers and keep a sensible dialogue going.

Not bad for a fat ass, a fat bastard, and a bunch of hippies, eh?

Wandering Coyote said...

Excellent! God for you and all your comrades for getting out there! I'm surprised you only had one dude get in your faces, but I also think that's heartening, too.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to you and your friends for the hard work.

Distributorcap said...

every single little bit makes a difference

thanks

Mel said...

Great job guys! Too bad I'm WAY too far to go :(
Everything helps, little things like this are HUGE!
Thanks!!!

Fran said...

OUTSTANDING! We could all learn something from the Concerned Citizens- what a protest.

This is a reminder for me to connect with a peace group here in Albany now that the long winter is ending.

BRAVO Dr. Monkey - I find you charmingly cute and not a fat bastard at all. But that's just me...

Missy said...

I am proud of you, your fellow protesters and that Lady's son!

Love the Spears sign too.

Karen said...

SO very proud Dr. M. If only more people would get out there and raise their voices as you and your comrades did, a change could happen.

mwb said...

Pointless and bloody wars are nature's way of getting Republicans out of office for a very long time - at least I hope so...

Unknown said...

Wonderful, cathartic. Small group, BIG BIG voice.

dguzman said...

Go Monkey! Glad to see such strong voices of protest!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Sandra-Take all the photos you like dear, what's mine is yours.

WC-The positive responses we got more than out weighed that dude's bullshit.

Kirby-You sound like a Bartles and James ad.

D Cap-No, thank you.

Mel-If you ever make it up here we'll protest together. :)

Fran-I'm cute until you get to know me, then I become the fat bastard. :)

Missy-Snad and John made that sign. They rock.

Karen-If only more would have said something years ago when Bush took us into the quagmire.

MWB-I hope you're right.

Ron-Good to see you here my man!

Dguzman-I hope we don't have to protest much longer, I hope they listen to us and just end the damn war and the senseless killing.