Monday, March 10, 2008

And now a post in which I shamelessly promote my mad literary skillzzz

In late 2003 I decided to see if I could write a novel so I sat down at my computer and I wrote a really shitty experimental novel that I managed to get an agent in California to read. It was pretty bad and she declined to represent me, and rightfully so based on that effort. What I learned from all that was that if I wanted to I could sit down and write a novel.

So after I got rejected by the agent and I read my novel again I decided that it was pure shit but that I was not going to give up. Then in early 2004 I sat down and I wrote the kind of novel I most like to read, a gritty crime novel with lots of twists and turns. A few months later I finished the first draft.


The fates smiled upon me this time because after I finished it I met a guy who was auditioning for the improv comedy group I used to be in in Knoxville. He was, fortuitously enough, starting a small independent publishing company and he was actively seeking manuscripts. I gave him mine and he read it and he decided he wanted to publish it. So a few months later we got rolling and my novel was released to the masses:

We sold about a 125 copies and I was in a few locally owned independent bookstores here in the south. I was also on amazon.com for a time and all the copies they bought sold out. Then as I was in the process of trying to get my book more out there in the stores and on the web I had my heart attack and everything got put on the shelf for months.

A month or so after my subsequent bypass I fulfilled my promise to a local bookstore owner and I did a signing at his store. However it really could not be considered a signing because I signed no books due to no one buying any. It was quite the humbling experience to have been ignored by hundreds of people as I sat at a table with my unsold books.

Fast forward to a few months ago. When I got this blog up and running and I had some regular readers I decided to send out some of the copies of my book at no charge to some of my blog friends, don't feel like you were slighted if you did not get one, I only had about 5 to give away. I kept one copy to scan in some day and to sell on the blog and that some day has finally arrived. The publisher of my novel has since stopped publishing fiction and he refused to answer my many emails to him. I finally got him to admit to me that he gave up publishing fiction in favor of publishing industrial stuff for various companies. So I don't feel a bit bad about cutting him out of this deal here on my blog, I own the copyright after all, I did write the novel and it's up to me now to sell it on the web.

So to make a long story longer, you can soon buy my novel. I'm going to warn anyone who might be interested in buying it that it is a crime novel and there are evil people in my book who do bad stuff to others. If you are easily offended then I encourage you not to buy my book. However if you want a fast paced funny yet gritty crime novel that has gotten good reviews and positive feedback then by all means snap this bitch up.

Here's how you can buy my book:
  1. Send me an email with the words "I want Trouble" in the subject line to monkeymuckATgmailDOTcom
  2. I will then go to Pay Pal and request $11 from you. You will get an email from Pay Pal requesting you put the money in my account.
  3. After you put the money in my Pay Pal account I will send you my novel via email. Well actually, via many emails. Approximately 10 or 11 emails because the size of the PDF file by itself is too big to send without zipping it and breaking it up into chunks of about 30 pages each.

It's just that simple. If you like you can pay more for my novel but I want a minimum of $11 for it. The cover price was $14, so you're getting a bargain and you're not paying any sales tax. If any of my readers outside of the USA want to buy it and you have any trouble with Pay Pal, let me know and we'll work something out.

I'm about half way done scanning in 30 page chunks of it now so it'll be ready to go by oh say 5PM eastern daylight time. So if you want to get a copy go ahead and send me that email and I'll get the ball rolling as soon as I get done scanning.

16 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

I commend you for actually sticking with this whole process, not to mention completing a novel. I know how much work that is. I completed a novel when I was a teen - and it was a load of cow tripe. Self-publishing is going to be the way of the future, as bigger publishing companies either flounder because of poor sales, or move towards only publishing sure-fire commercial hits. So, go you for selling it on your blog; it's an excellent idea.

Missy said...

Hooray!

Joe said...

Yes!

I enjoyed it--I'm so impressed that you were able to juggle multiple plotlines and somehow bring them all together. Good times!

I'd be happy to put a blurb on the 2nd edition, and plug your book when I'm on talk shows.

mad said...

As someone who never got past Chapter 14 of his novel, you have my utmost admiration.

Mnmom said...

Congratulations! I don't read books on computer and my printer could handle the load. If you have actual books, I'd be interested.

Romius T. said...

Fantastic News! I will be buying one (of Course I will) Just wondering what your thoughts about publishing it via lulu.com for those of us who would like a hard copy ?>>? I await your reply. If you choose not to I would still purchase via download.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Wandering-Thanks. I think all first novels must be cow tripe. I hope I get some buyers for my non cow tripe novel.

Missy-My book makes an excellent St. Patricks Day or welcome spring time gift!

Bubs-What talk shows do you do now?

Mad-Thanks, you'd have my admiration if you bought a copy.

MNMom-The whole point of me offering it on the blog is to not have hard copies. Hard copies cost money, the cost eat would into what I would make, and I'm being green by not offering it in hard copy form anymore. Break your rules and read it on your computer, like the old ad said, "Try it, you'll like it."

Romius-I checked out lulu.com and they want money for marketing which I do not have now. Download is the way to go right now. Email me when you're ready.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Bubs. It is an excellent read. We've passed it around at'Tits HQ and it's gotten high praise.

Katie Schwartz said...

I'm with Dcup and Bubs, it's an excellent read. I loved it. I have passed it on to a few friends who have thoroughly enjoyed it.

I am THRILLED that you are selling it.

BUY THE SIMIAN STUD'S BOOK! You will love it.

Simian, why aren't you writing for AAM?

Romius T. said...

I had no idea they wanted money for marketing, those bastards, (not that I really did any real research other than hearing from a friend that they print books - I thought for basically free) so my bad. Please send away. romiustexis@yahoo.com

Dr. Zaius said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dr. Zaius said...

Oh! Bring back the Monkerstein watercolor banner!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Congratulations on sticking with the whole process.

mwb said...

Coolness man!

But my question is before I dish out any money. I want a guarantee that there is no mention of Britney Spears in the books. The lack of Britney references has become compelling important in my reading lately...

;-)

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

MWB-There are no mentions of Britney Spears, however the same can not be said of ESPN. Buy it and I'm sure you'll like it if you read it.

Tanya Espanya said...

How did I not hear about this until now?!

Congratulations, well done, now I have to go finish my crummy book.

:)