Friday, February 1, 2008

Commence the classic country!

When Elvis released Almost Blue in the early 80's I hated it. I sneered at the country covers and I decried the lack of the angry Elvis I had come to know and love so well. In the 1991 I decided to give it another listen and I hated it even more. Then in 2004 after my heart attack Sparky and I were out of town for a weekend away after my bypass surgery and I saw the 2 CD reissue of Almost Blue and for some reason I bought it. I put it in the CD player when we got home and the music hit me like a ton of bricks. I had been wrong all those years, the CD was great and the tracks on the bonus CD were even better than I had hoped for. So here's the "big hit"(it was a huge hit in the UK but not so much over here in the USA) from Almost Blue. It's a cover of a George Jones song and Elvis manages to make it all his own.

The two girls in the video who "sing" back up and harmony were the young daughters of the owner of the house where they shot this video. He insisted they be given a part in the video so that they could keep an eye on Elvis and the band. I guess they must have been tough little gals who would have kicked those grown men's asses if they had had done any damage to that house.

5 comments:

Missy said...

I love all the Elvis attention. I will check that record out.

Anonymous said...

I loved that record.

Johnny Yen said...

I miss the angry Elvis too. But I did like Almost Blue.

Those first three Elvis Costello albums were phenomenal.

Ed said...

One thing you have to love about country music is pedal-steel guitar. I can never get enough pedal-steel.

Dale said...

The link's not there but is it 'Stranger in the House'? Loved that.