Monday, February 4, 2008

23 Dicks

I saw this movie the other night:
I must admit I liked it more than I thought I would. It's got a lot of twists and turns and Jim Carrey does a nice job of not being funny in it and the ending is kind of unexpected. I recommend you watch it but only if you can do so for free.

Oh, I almost forgot, the best thing about this movie is that it has Virginia Madsen in it.
She's pretty good in it and she makes most of it bearable, at least for me anyway.
I hope I look as great as she does at 45.
Holy shit, what am I talking about? I'm already 45 and I'll never look that great. Boy howdy is she a pretty woman or what? Virginia is a 10 in 23 and she's the only reason I sat through the entire movie.


I watched Dick again last night on one of those In Demand channels on digital cable.
I loved this movie the first time I saw it and now after seeing it again after about 6 or 7 years, I love it even more. It's about two teenage girls, played Michelle Williams and Kirsten Dunst, who get involved with Dick Nixon and the Watergate mess. It's funny and has great performances by everyone in the cast. This clever film is a must see light comedy.
I was just a little younger than the age the girls in the movie were supposed to be but I remember that era vividly. I remember the clothes, the music, the politics, the attitudes about Nixon, Viet Nam, and dope smoking. This film hits them all dead on and gets it right on every count.
It's a sweet funny comedy that I highly recommend. I like it so much that I may add it to the permanent DVD collection here at Monkey Central if I see it for sale at a low price some time.
And now, you knew they were coming, so here they are, ladies and gents, the obligatory Dick jokes: You can't go wrong with Dick. I'm not kidding, Dick does not suck. You'll laugh and you'll want this Dick for your very own. This Dick is a charmer.

9 comments:

Micgar said...

Yeah but is Dick better than Elephallus?
Just kidding, I have taken all your movie rec's into consideration!

Missy said...

I love (the film) Dick too! "Hello Dolly, well Hello Dolly!"

Claire said...

I love that movie (Dick); I will usually watch anything with Kirsten Dunst, and she and Michelle Williams were both so funny in that.

Dr. Zaius said...

The art direction, costumes and sets in "Dick" were fantastic! I thought the story was a bit thick, but it was fun to watch anyway.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Dick was fine, but the Number 23 was unintentionally hilarious. And come on, nobody wanted to see Jim Carrey have sex.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Micgar-Haha.

Missy-I knew you be a Dick lover.

CDP-They were both perfect in those parts.

Dr. Z-Sure the story was far fetched, it was a comedy. I agree the sets and costumes rocked.

Barb-Nobody but Jenny McCarthy that is.

Alyson said...

I feel so bad for Michelle Williams... maybe I'll watch "Dick" again to get over all that.

dguzman said...

Dick reminds me of the classic story about when Jefferson Airplane was invited to the Nixon White House for dinner. (Grace Slick told this story on MTV a loooonng time ago.) Grace tried to smuggle in two hits of acid, hoping she would get a chance to put them in Dick's coffee, but they searched her and found the acid.

Dale said...

I really liked the film Dick and thought it underrated at the time, time for another viewing.