Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Question a day

Today's question comes to us from one of my blog heroes, the lovely and talented Johnny Yen. Johnny is part of the axis of Midwest bloggers that may one day rule the earth until the simian takeover. Johnny wants to know: Which game show host was cheesier: John Davidson or Bert Convy?
As a viewer of game shows since I was a young monkling I've seen both of these men at work hosting game shows. Both men started out as actors and both rose to fame as a result of doing parts in popular musicals, Convy was in Cabaret and Davidson was in Oklahoma! However as soon as Convy hit the big time and began hosting game shows he stopped singing professionally. Davidson did not. He continued to sing and record albums and tour in dinner theatre productions of varying quality.
********
Based purely on memory of both of their hosting skills, I'd have to give the edge on the cheesy scale to Davidson. He was enamored with himself and with his dimples and it showed on every episode of every game show he hosted. He exuded smarm. Convy just seemed nice and happy to be there earning a paycheck in a job that gave him a bit of celebrity.

********
Sadly Bert is no longer with us, he died of a brain tumor a few years back. And sadly John Davidson is still singing and playing his guitar. He and his wife, in addition to staying alive, have also founded a game company. Evidently they design games that teach geography, although there is no truth to the rumor that they know where in the world Carmen San Diego is at this moment.

********
Thanks for your question Johnny!

********
Has there been a question on your mind lately? Well,email it to me and I'll answer it. Send your questions to me at monkeymuck(at)gmail(dot)com. I'll be answering one a day all month long.

10 comments:

Fran said...

When I was a kid, John Davidson's dad was the pastor at a Presbyterian church near my house. One time I saw him in a local store (John, not his dad) and at age 8, he made me swoon.

At 50- not so much.

dguzman said...

Oh Monkey, you DO know everything--you totally nailed this one, right down to Bert Convy's nice-guy appearance.

God, I hadn't thought about John Davidson in forever--NO thanks for bringing him up AND including that ridiculous photo.... blech!

Jess Wundrun said...

I don't remember John Davidson on game shows but I remember that he co-hosted a talk show.

I could google him, but meh. You've given us enough Davidson for the new millenia.

Mnmom said...

Eeww John Davidson is wearing pink lipstick eewww

Whiskeymarie said...

I'm going to go with John as the cheesier of the two, as Bert at least seems to have a milligram or two of testosterone left.

vikkitikkitavi said...

Hey, lay off John D. He may be 67, but you could bounce a quarter off those cheekbones!

Snad said...

OK - that picture is too fricking scary for words. I'd be happier bouncing a Patriot AAW off his cheekbones, Vikki.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Fran-Admit it, you still want JD.

Delia-Admit it, you want JD too.

Jess-Really? There's always room for Jello and for more Davidson.

MnMOm-He's gone all metrosexual on our asses.

Whiskey-Even in death he kicks Davidson's ass.

Vikki-Admit it, you want JD bad.

Snad-Scary? Just imagine what Bert Convey looks like now!

Snad said...

"Imagine what Bert Convey looks like now!"

I bet he looks more natural!

Johnny Yen said...

Thank you for settling this at long last! You're a saint among men.