Thursday, August 16, 2007

It's 100% more absorbent!

Okay okay, calm down. I know I'm the last of the bloggers to list my songs on Splotchy's Green Monkey Mix Total Absorption edition. You know I just love you all so much that I saved the best for last. Check out Beth's list on Cup of Coffey, Barbara's list on Bad Tempered Zombie, and of course Splotchy's mix on I, Splotchy and you can get the whole mix there as well.

We were charged with choosing ten songs, I came up a tad short for reasons that escape me now, that we get totally absorbed by and that we must hear all the way through when we begin to hear them. I am totally blown away by the great choices the others made and holy hell did they introduce me to some great new music.

Anyway, here are my contributions to the mix:

Johnny Cash - A Boy Named Sue: I've heard it a million times but when I hear ol' Johnny start his tale of that boy named Sue I get hooked yet again. It's one of the first songs that I heard as a kid that I demanded the grown ups let play all the way through.

Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town: The title track off his late '70's masterpiece. It's not an easy boppy bright song but it captures that time like almost no other song ever did. I used play this album over and over again while I sang and played air guitar.

Rank and File - Post Office Wall:This is 1:43 seconds of pure genius. The cheesy singing and the jangly guitars and the funny lyrics always get me. I first heard it on a sampler years ago and I loved it to no end. If you have kids you better not play it around them because it is so infectious. It's been in my head since last night when Splotchy sent it to me via email. I can't stop singing it.

Kirsty MacColl - Titanic Days :I discovered this song on a new used sampler I just got. I love her voice, the lyrics, the haunting music, and the nautical noises in the background. God how I wish she were still alive, imagine all the great stuff she would do if she were still with us.

Mediaeval Baebes - Kilmeny: I discovered this group one day while searching for a Loreena McKinnet CD. Their CD looked interesting so I bought it and I fell in love with the whole medieval song and instrument shtick. This song sounded so modern to me when I heard it amongst the others and whenever I hear it I've got to listen to it all. As soon as the temperatures start to dip below 50 degrees I put the Baebes in heavy rotation on my CD player.

Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill: How can you not love a song where the singer talks about switching places with god? I adore Kate Bush and I can not wait to hear her new CD sometime soon, but I Hounds of Love will remain my fave because this song is on it. This song actually got banned on one of the local radio stations when it first came out around here, they said it was sacrilegious.

Stiff Little Fingers - Who Died and Made You Elvis?: I admit I'm a late comer to SLF. I should have been hep to them years ago but I had other things to do, like smoke too much pot and drink a shit load of beer. But I was lucky enough to pick up their CD Guitar and Drum one day after attending cardiac rehab and boy was I knocked out when I heard it. I love every song on the CD but this one is my favorite. I love how they use a pop icon like Elvis to make the point that we should all be a little more humble in our daily lives. I could have easily named Strummerville, their moving tribute to the late Joe Strummer of The Clash, as another total absorbtion song but I felt like I should limit myself to one song per artist. If you like punk rock then you owe it to yourself to pick this CD up.


It was fun choosing the songs and even more fun listening to what everyone else chose. Thanks for letting me play Splotchy!

4 comments:

Phobia said...

Totally awesomeness! Besides the Baebes may I suggest blackmore's Night? They are of the same genre and their guitarist is of legend.. As a starter Cd i'd say village Lanterne or Winter carols depending which you can find

www.blackmoresnight.com

Fran said...

Running Up That Hill... loving you for reminding me of that great song and the many 80's memories I have of it.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

My next priority is to sit down and properly listen to everyone's choices. You know, I almost had a Kirsty MacColl (with the Pogues) song on my list - Fairytale of New York, but alas, that line had to be drawn somewhere.

And I have always been curious about the Mediaeval Baebes - looking forward to listening to that.

I love how you almost chose Strummerville, because that song always chokes me up.

Great choices!

Splotchy said...

Thanks a lot for playing, good doctor!

I acquired a large handful albums as a result of this mix, including several related to your song choices.

And may I also compliment you on the lovely autumn colors of your artist names?