Friday, June 29, 2007

A pissed off terpsichorean chick asks me five feckin' questions

After reading Pam's interview with Angry Ballerina I decided it might be fun to have the Angry One interview me.

She graciously decided to accept my offer and here is the interview.

1. Ok, really, what the fuckitty fuck is with the Crunky? (this question is for my own personal knowledge)

One day while searching Flickr for stupid pictures that I could use on my blog I found a set of photos that had been tagged with the name 'foreign groceries.' I clicked on said set and saw a picture of someone holding a Crunky bar. Crunky apparently is a type of candy bar/cookie/ice cream treat that is sold in only Japan and or other parts of Asia. I laughed out loud when I saw the name so I put the word 'Crunky' in the search box on Flickr and up came all those pictures of the various Crunkys and the people who hold them. I decided to use all of them one by one in my now infamous daily feature "Who's holding our Crunky now?" It's just a stupid joke that won't die until I use up all the pictures, which should be in a week or so. The tone of it is funny to me and a few of you have gotten it as well. I realize it's not for everybody and not everybody thinks it's as funny as I do but I like that as well. I like making jokes only one or two people get.

2. Who would you rather find yourself in a drunken conversation with, Diane Fossey, or Jane Goodall?

No question about it, Jane Goodall. I've dug Jane since I first saw her on a National Geographic TV special years ago. I've had a little crush on her ever since I saw her that first time, and I'm not the only one either Johnny Yen wrote about his thang for Ms. Goodall a few weeks ago. If Jane and I did get drunk together I picture us drinking gin and tonics with lots of lime wedges or maybe some lemony vodka drinks. Seriously though, Jane is one of my heroes for her tireless work on behalf of chimps and her work educating people about the need to save not only the chimps habitat but the whole world in general.




3. "Boys everywhere, fumbling with the catches, I struck lucky with motel matches." You are obviously an Elvis Costello fan, which album, or song, would appropriately describe your life at the moment. Why?

You are correct Ms. Mad Dancer, I am indeed a huge Elvis Costello fan and I have been since the late 1970's. His music was like a bolt from the blue that hit my young head and cleared out all the adolescent cobwebs. When I first saw him on Saturday Night Live, this was the infamous episode when he made his band stop playing the song that NBC and Lorne Michaels had picked out for them to play and instead he led the Attractions through a rousing version of Radio Radio, it was like manna from heaven to me. There he was all goofy looking with his spastic movements, his black horn rimmed glasses, his bad hair cut, and I said to myself, damn if that guy had blond hair, no musical talent, was shy around girls but tried to make up for it by being funny, then he'd be me.

The Elvis album that would describe my life at the moment would be Spike. It's got songs that appeal to my sense of political outrage (Tramp the Dirt Down), my sense of social justice (Let Him Dangle), my concerns about aging (Veronica), the out of control multi national corporations who want to run our lives (This Town), and phony religious assholes (God's Comic). If I had to choose one song though, it would be The Other Side of Summer from Mighty Like a Rose because it combines a jaundiced view of the world with some humor and keen insight. Excellent question by the way, thanks for asking it.

4. I took some time and went though your flickr, what is your favorite piece of work you have displayed? What was the inspiration/story behind it?

Of the ones I've posted this one is my favorite:

The inspiration was I took a piece that I had done that I hated and I decided to paint over it. I was doing my "Plate Tectonics" series of mixed media pieces and this is a variation on them. I painted the back ground color and let it dry, then I took a piece of flimsy material that had tiny holes in it and dipped it in some yellow paint. I flogged the paint covered material on the 13" by 13" piece of wood and let it dry. Then I splatted the lavender paint on an old record album (I collect cheesy record album covers) and I pressed the album on the piece of wood. After all that paint dried I ran a picture of Diana Krall off the internet and traced it twice. I glued both faces on top of one another to get that blurry effect and then I cut the words "What Your Skin Does" out and glued them on. Then I spotted a hand I had drawn and thought it fit as well. And then finally I put a thin layer of decoupage glue over the whole thing. I like how it turned out.

My favorite that piece that I have made that I have not posted yet is one of my Princess Diana collage mixed media pieces. She is one of the few people I will not joke about or mock because I really admire her, she had it all, lost it, still gave her all for others, and was killed by the corporate media. I do intend to get off my ever growing ass and post more of my art pieces soon and I will post that one when I do.

5. In your Mother's Day post, you described two touching (and funny)memories that have stuck with you through out the years, and you said that your mother taught you to look up to people who tried to make the world a better place. Out of all the people you listed, who had the most impact on your life, and still does?

Out of the people I listed in that post, I'd have to go with the Berrigan brothers even though I am no longer a Catholic and am an atheist now. They were two Catholic priests who were anti-war and vehemently pro peace. They were some of the only religious figures that I have seen "walk the walk," so to speak. They broke into draft board offices and poured blood over files that contained names of men to be drafted, what impressed me was that the blood they poured was blood they had drawn from themselves and from other protesters. They were of course arrested and tried for this crime but that did not stop them. They kept protesting for peace and against war. They kept it up during the Reagan years and right up until Phil Berrigan died. His brother, Father Daniel, still is involved to this day, as much as his old age will allow him, in the anti war movement. They stood against the tide of support for the Viet Nam war and against racism, and their own church leadership to do what they felt was right. If I ever get to be as much as a quarter of how brave these guys were then I'll be doing damn good.



That's all folks. If you want to be interviewed by moi, then leave a comment in the comment section that says, "Interview me."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found this to be an incredibly interesting post. Angry presented you with great questions and your responses were interesting insight into the monkey.

J.D. said...

Dr. Von Monkerstein, it would very voter-friendly if you interviewed me, Crown Prince of the Darko tribe, so...?

Fran said...

What a new and intriguing side of of Dr Monkey we meet here. Very good.

And AB- excellent questions asked in an excellent manner.

Well done one and all!

Angry Ballerina said...

Heeey, great answers. I had a pretty interesting time coming up with the questions,and totally had waaaay too much fun at work going though your archives to get ideas. Vonderful!

Becca said...

Poor Diane Fossey never gets the love.

If you have the time and care enough, it would be quite cool to be interviewed by the great Dr. monkey!