Friday, June 22, 2007

Music madness

All the cool kids, Becca and Samurai Frog among them, are doing the guess the song from the first line meme that's going around so I'd thought I'd jump in too. But since I have no IPod to put on shuffle, I went through some of the CDs here at el Casa de Monkey and made my list. When you correctly guess the song and artist I'll put your name beside the one(s) you get correct. Oh yeah, no cheating by using search engines.

Have fun!

1)Of one that is so fair and bright, Velud maria stella...

2) My thoughts seem to be around my ankles today, over the weekend they passed before me like a tired parade.

3) Bonfires dot the rolling hillsides, figures dance around and around to drums that pulse out echoes of darkness moving to that pagan sound.

4) Well I said goodbye to Rosie Rooke this morning, I'm gonna miss her alcoholic bloodshot eyes...(Samurai Frog got it.) Muswill Hillbillies by the Kinks

5) At 16 she quit high school to make a fortune in the promised land...(Samurai got it half right so far and Johnny Yen steps in and gets the other half. ) Small Things by Dave Edmunds

6) Sittin' around in the Firestone parking lot, it's alright...(Kelso's Nuts got it half right and Matty Boy gets the other half.) Who Does Lisa Like?by Rachel Sweet

7) The rain falls hard on a hum drum town, this town has dragged you down. (Splotchy got it.)William It Was Really Nothing by the Smiths

8) I changed my clothes ten times before I took you on a date...

9) You took me into the forrest, I liked you right away.

10) Obscure the late afternoon with a drape, don't let him follow her latest escape.

11) Once I was a soldier. I rode on a big white horse, silver pistols at my side. (Matty Boy got it.) 36 Inches by Nick Lowe

12) What the hell is wrong with you tonight? I can't seem to say or do the right thing. (Devilham got it.) Different for Girls by Joe Jackson

13) I been walking through the barnyard and I got it all over my shoes...

14) Pontius Pilate came to our town, up to the dockyards to see the picket lines...(Kelsi got it.) One by One by Chumbawamba

15) I've heard 'em say there's one for everybody and I just knew somehow that you'd be the one for me...

16) Yeah, election time's comin', who ya gonna vote for?

17) You lit a flame in my heart and it is burning still.

18) One bright and sunny mornin' down on Avenue B, as I was returnin' home from a night of debauchery...

19) You honk the horn on your Mercedes Benz, I've rolled up my window so you're honkin' again.

20) I saw a newspaper picture from the political campaign, a woman was kissing a child, who was obviously in pain... (Matty Boy got it.) Tramp the Dirt Down by Elvis Costello

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

#12 Different for Girls, Joe Jackson ?

Splotchy said...

#7 The Smiths - William, It Was Really Nothing

Good song.

Matthew Hubbard said...

#20 is Elvis Costello's Tramp the Dirt Down.

SamuraiFrog said...

4 - The Kinks, "Muswell Hillbilly"

Number 5 I recognize as "From Small Things (Big Things One Day Come)," but I don't know which version. I immediately thought of Bruce Springsteen.

kelsi said...

i've been thinking about #14 for about half an hour, and it finally came back to me.
chumbawamba, one by one, from tubthumping.
have you heard/do you own their double album with noam chomsky?
good stuff.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Sadly I do not own it yet Kelsi nor have I heard it. But now I shall. Thanks for the heads up.

KELSO'S NUTS said...

#6 is by RACHEL SWEET. The album is FOOL AROUND but I'm forgetting the title of the song.

Matthew Hubbard said...

Now that Kelso has taken the shot, let me get the rebound and put it back up. Who Does Lisa Like? is the tune.

Johnny Yen said...

Samurai is right about #5-- Springsteen wrote "From Small Things..." He wrote it for Dave Edmunds.

Matthew Hubbard said...

#11 continues "Carrying the flags of war." 36" High by Nick Lowe.