Friday, July 31, 2009

The parade of swag continues!

The fantastic Flannery Alden shipped me some swag in with the DVD's we loaned her back when she came to visit our fair city a few months ago. This box o' swag was all the more sweet because she had already brought us swag when she came in person so she's swagged us twice which is always nice. Here's a peek at some of the swag she sent:

That's right bee-otches, I now own a Flannery Alden original doodle and you don't. Jealous much? Boo ya!


I'm old enough to remember when microwave ovens were so new they had to have their own cookbooks. Here's one from the mid 1970's that Flannery sent me:
There are three things about this cookbook you need to know. First off is it's a loose leaf notebook style cook book, second it was put out by an electronics company which is always a bizarre thing, and third, I'll bet a million bucks that they cooked that food on the cover in a conventional oven. It's not only full of bad recipes and photos of bad food, it's got swell 1970's era illustrations and diagrams like this one:
But the culinary horror doesn't stop there because she also sent me this little booklet with all kinds of artery clogging recipes from the makers of Land O' Lakes butter, who's motto is, "If it doesn't have butter in it, then why the fuck would you eat it?"
Thanks much for the second swagging Flannery, you rock babe.

5 comments:

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

You're welcome, of course!

My Grandma had that oven and it's her manual. She made coffee (see the instant coffee recipe in the beverages section), popcorn and reheated leftovers.

Once I saw your Culinary Horrors I knew that book belonged to you! Thanks for the hours of fun with Father Ted and the Black Adder!

Megan said...

Why would you eat it, indeed!

joe said...

Definitely conventional oven food.

Anonymous said...

Remember when everyone thought microwaves were so absolutely essential? And what did they cost in the beginning, like seven hundred bucks? Ha!

Anonymous said...

I had that microwave too. It was a hand-me-down. It had a browning element inside that you could move up and down.