Today's episode: Cuban style pot roasted chicken.
The verdict: tasty but kind of disappointingly bland.
Would I cook it again? Since there are so many other good chicken recipes out there, probably not but if I did I'd do the following differently:
- I'd add more spices to the dish, like more salt, more pepper, some cumin, and cayenne pepper.
- I'd use already cut up chicken instead of a whole chicken that I had to cut up along the way.
- I'd use less liquid in the cooking process because in the end the chicken didn't seem pot roasted, it seemed like it had been stewed.
- I'd add different kinds of more flavorful peppers, like pablano, serrano, and jalapeno.
- I'd scoop the garlic out of the marinade and brown it before I added it to the chicken and veggies.
I like Cuban food, I find it to be flavorful and quite delicious but this dish which I found in the Gran Cocina Latina cookbook to be a disappointment.