I'm not in the store where you work to be friends or buddies with you. And I'm pretty sure you don't want to be BFFs with me. I'm there to buy something. That's it. What I don't want is the following:
- I don't want you to tell me about your new piercing, tattoo, or your new hair color. I could care less about what you did last night or before you came to work. I don't want to know about your dog, cat, brother, sister, kid, or in fact, anyone in your life.
- I don't want you to sneer at my purchases. I could care less if you think what I buy is crap, you're not buying, I am.
- I don't want you to check the eggs in my egg carton. I can do that myself, and most likely, I did before I put them in the cart.
- If I tell you I don't want a bag and you put some of my stuff in a plastic bag, I don't want you to toss that plastic bag away in a huff. I didn't want that bag in the first place, but now that you've used it I don't want you to toss it away, just give it to me and I'll recycle it.
- I don't need you to look at my aging face and short hair and assume I'm some kind of right winger. Most likely, I'm more left wing than you are you smarmy little turd.
- And finally, stop acting all hurt that I don't want to stay and chat with you. I'm painfully aware, as you should be, that there are customers behind me and they want to get checked out quickly as well, so I'll always skip the chit chat so they can get checked out a little faster.
Seriously people, I'm not there to make your day bright or to validate and to praise you effusively, that's your parents job, not mine. Let's keep things between us short, professional, and brief.
Thanks ever so much.