Monday, July 25, 2011

Monkey Movie Reports (double down edition)

Welcome to Dongmakgol is the best Korean movie you never saw. I only saw it because a friend who lives in Korea made me a copy and sent it to me. It's the story of a remote mountain top village in the onset of the Korean war that gets visited by an American pilot, three North Korean soldiers, and two South Korean soldiers. The pilot crash lands there and the other soldiers make their way there after going through some harrowing life changing events. Slowly the villagers, who were unaware that there was a war going on, charm all the soldiers and the pilot into dropping their war like ways and becoming part of the village. Then just as they all were sinking into becoming friends, real life intrudes on their happiness.

This film is brilliantly shot, beautifully acted, and it's an all around winner. If you get the chance, see it. You will not be disappointed.
Jack Rebney was one of the first viral video superstars of You Tube. Before that he was a cult figure among people who swapped video cassettes. You've seen him, he's the guy doing the RV film who cusses up a blue streak. This documentary takes a look at what became of Jack after his now famous tirades while filming that RV movie.

His story is touching, funny, sad, unpredictable, and at times outrageous. What happened to him after he made the RV movie is compelling and worth finding out about. I'll not spoil it for anyone but I will say what happened to him is not at all what you'd expect.

This documentary get high marks from me because it's one of the few docs, outside of Michael Moore's that is, that isn't afraid to be humorous in tone and in subject matter. I loved Jack Rebney when I saw his RV movie out takes, and now after seeing this documentary, I love him even more.

I recommend this documentary highly.

2 comments:

Sleestak said...

My wife loves that film! And the bomb drop scene is fantastic.

Craig said...

Welcome to Dongmakgol is on youtube for watching or download.