Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Monkey Movie Review

I never read the graphic novels this movie is based on, I'm not in the target demographic this movie is supposed to hit, but none of that stopped me from loving this film. I grew up reading comic books, I grew up playing video games, first in the arcades and then on home systems, so I totally 'get' this slick fun funny movie.

Already dating a hot little cute as a button girl, our hero meets Ramona, she of the many colored hair, and he falls in lust, at first, then love, with her. But as is often the case, the course of true love never did run smooth and it turns out our hero young Mr. Pilgrim must fight seven of Ramona's evil exes.

The mix of sly pop culture, cartoony action fight scenes, and young angsty love makes for one hell of a fun movie. The women are all cute, the guys are all grungy and cute, there's gays, rock and roll, and more over the top stuff than you can keep track of. And it's all done so fucking well that you can't help but smile and be sucked in.

I highly recommend this movie, especially if you're not familiar with the Scott Pilgrim saga. And I'm sure there's some Scott Pilgrim purist out there who reads this blog and who will feel obliged to leave me a comment telling me how much they hated this film and how badly they fucked it up when they brought it to the screen, but you know what? I could care less. I loved this film and that's all that counts. And I'm totally crushing on Knives and Ramona, and yeah, I know that makes me a dirty old man but I don't care.

2 comments:

rob4drok said...

K reads the comix and loved the movie -- which we all watched together -- so he (and we) would agree that you are right on.

Keith said...

Another excellent choice, sir! There are few movies this bold and funny.