Monday, October 25, 2010

Two out of three ain't bad, in fact two out of three are really great

I have a confession to make. I didn't used to be crazy about Sherlock Holmes. I grew up watching those Basil Rathbone Holmes movies when I was a kid and they bored me to death. I never read the books either. I never got into the Jeremy Brett incarnation of Holmes on PBS and I have yet to see the Guy Ritchie version of Holmes.

Keeping all that in mind, I decided to give the new PBS version of Sherlock a try and hot damn I'm ever so glad I did.
It's freakin' brilliant. This version brings Holmes and Watson into the 21st century with spectacular results. The story, at least this first one, A Study In Pink, was a whip smart blazing fast tale that introduced all the principals and set the stage for the next episodes. And it didn't hurt that it had two of my favorite British actors, Martin Freeman and Philip Davis, in it.


I read the first three Fables collections back to back to back and I got kind of burnt out on them as a result. But after a year of being off Fables, I read the fourth collection and damn, it blew my socks off. It's full of great story telling, great dialogue, and great art. In this collection we meet new characters and we find out a little more of the back story of the lives of some of the current and newish fable characters. This collection is brilliant. It made me want to read more of these collections and since my library has them, I'll do just that in the next few weeks.

The art in this adaption of Kidnapped is really good and I'm sure the adaption of the novel itself is good, my problem with it is that novel itself. I found the story to be meh, boring, hackneyed, done to death. I'm not a huge Robert Louis Stevenson fan and I gave this one a try but in the end, I didn't care for the story. I should have given this one a miss.

No comments: