Saturday, September 5, 2009

A Monkey movie review

After all the hype around The Wrestler finally died down, we decided to see it. And the bottom line is, believe the hype. It's a very good film.

I had my doubts about it and I carried those doubts throughout most of the movie and I did not get rid of the doubt until the very end when Mickey Rourke looks up and see that Marisa Tomei had fled the arena where he's wrestling. That's when I finally knew the film wasn't going to go the route of the nice neat make everyone happy Hollywood ending. The ending was messy and open ended, just like life is.

Mickey Rourke's performance as a washed up wrestler hanging on to his 'sport' is a thing of beauty. He fulfills in this role the promise he showed so early on in his acting career, the promise he squandered for so many years when he took so many bad roles in so many bad movies. His character in this film reminded me of Brett Favre because both men are way past their prime and they are only hanging on to their athletic pasts because they fear getting older. Marisa Tomei is also very good in her role as the aging stripper. She projects a world weary sexiness mixed with a longing for a normal life with her son. Her boobs are world class as well in this film.

Highly recommended.

8 comments:

Some Guy said...

I agree. I was not expecting to like this one, but I did.

Margaret Benbow said...

"The ending was messy and open-ended.." Yes. I thought (assumed) his heart would split at his last high-flying signature leap, but we don't really know that.So maybe there are even more tragedies to come for him. And you're right: all of Rourke's hard, lost years made him perfect for this role.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Oh well, if there are world class boobs in this film ...

Claire said...

I really liked it too.

Wings1295 said...

Haven't seen it, but I will. Have only heard good things. And I love Tomei. ;)

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Totally agree with you. Its one of those once in a lifetime roles we will be talking about for years. Like Marv in Sin City we have the perfect marriage of material to actor. Makes you wonder just how amazing a career Mickey could have had without the hiccup in the middle. Well he's not dead yet and I really root for his continued success cause brother gots mad skills.

Spooney said...

I though it was pretty "eh". I do agree that Marisa Tomei's boobs were excellent in it though.

Sudeaux said...

I totally agree. I loved this film but I would walk across broken glass to watch Mickey Rourke anyway. Hope you guys are having fun at the beach!