Friday, August 21, 2009

My new favorite band

I discovered the band The Bird and The Bee today and it was entirely by accident.
I drove over to Bristol VA to get some Mega Millions tickets because I really want to win the jackpot and I did not want to drive back the way I came, which was via the Bristol Highway during race week. So I decided to go back via Interstate 81. And since I was close I decided to stop by Sonic CD's over by the Bristol Mall.
While in the store I happened upon a CD by The Bird and The Bee and since it was only $5.99, I bought it.
As soon as I heard their modern retro sound I fell in love with them. If Combustible Edison and April March had a baby, that baby would grow up to be The Bird and The Bee. Inara George has the voice of a sultry breathy angel and Greg Kurstin plays most all of the musical instruments with flair and precision. They've got a timeless cool quality about them and I can't wait to hear more from them. But right now I'll have to settle for listening to this CD over and over again:
And yes, that's them in the new banner atop the page.
My favorite tracks on this CD are My Love, Love Letter To Japan, Polite Dance Song, and You're a Cad. But honestly, I love all the tracks on this CD. And I'm ready to name Ms. George and Mr. Kurstin the hippest people on the planet.

Long live Blue Note recording artists The Bird and The Bee!

5 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I like the Bird and the Bee too, but what I like even better is the completely random way you found them. I live for musical discovery stories like that!

Wings1295 said...

Never heard of them, but they sound fun! Glad you stumbled upon them! :)

PJ said...

I discovered them a few months ago when some guy used "Again and Again" as the soundtrack to a very cute homage to Apple Macs... I checked out their myspace page but haven't got their album yet.

bethany said...

I have braved MySpace to hear The Bird and the Bee.. Excellent recommendation... Thank you!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

You're welcome Bethany and thanks for stopping my blog.