Friday, July 10, 2009

Monkey Moving Media Reviews

I picked this up at Big Lots for $3:
(Well, actually, I got the single disc version not the two disc one.) I figured how can you go wrong for $3? If it stank then I'd just swap it at the local used book/CD/DVD store and there'd be no harm, no foul.

We watched it last night and you know what? It's one of the funniest movies I've seen in ages. It skewers not only the music biopic genre, it also skewers rock stars like Bob Dylan, the Beatles, the Beach Boys, and others. It also knocks fads like disco, rock stars doing variety shows, and much more.

It was co-written and produced by Judd Apatow so it's got all the usual folks from his movies in it and as usual they are all very funny. John C. Reilly is enormously funny, he is in virtually every scene and he carries them all like a champ. His 'everyman' quality and his likability keep you laughing and rooting for him all the way through the movie. Also very funny are Kristen Wiig (as his first wife with who's dream is to live in a house made of candy),Tim Meadows (as the drummer who introduces Dewey to all kinds of different drugs), and Jenna Fischer (as Dewey's second wife and duet partner). Jack Black, Paul Rudd, Frankie Muniz, Jason Schwartzman, and Harold Ramis all shine in their cameos as well.

If you lived through the '60's, the 70's, the 80's, etc, and you paid at least a tiny bit of attention to what was going on in pop culture in the USA then you'll find this movie funny. I highly recommend this film, it's a hoot.


I usually stay away from made TV series (and movies) that are made by and for the SyFy network, but I decided to give Warehouse 13 a try. And I'm glad I did. I like it a lot.

It's about a secret government warehouse that is located in South Dakota. The warehouse is filled with paranormal, odd, and mystical objects that for one reason or another have ended up in the USA. It's the job of two Secret Service agents (they're the two on the right in the photo above) to track down new objects as they become aware of them and the other guy (the one on the far left) manages the warehouse. The premise is simple but the story possibilities are endless.

The leads have good chemistry and the pilot episode was well written and fast paced. So for now, I'm all in on this one and thanks to the wonders of the 'On Demand' channel, I can watch it whenever I want.

10 comments:

Wings1295 said...

Haven't seen the movie, but I plan to. Eventually, at least.

And I have "Warehouse 13" on DVR. Just need to watch it! The premise reminds me of my favorite show, "Friday the 13th: The Series". :)

BeckEye said...

I didn't LOVE "Walk Hard," but Eddie Vedder's appearance made everything all better.

Here's a funny viral video I just discovered that was made when that movie came out. Judd Apatow's friends sit around and are funny, as always.

okjimm said...

coincidence! I picked up a copy at a re-sale shop for $4. I think the price doubled my enjoyment.

Whiskeymarie said...

We've almost watched "Walk Hard" about 15 times now, but for whatever reason we haven't yet- maybe this weekend it's time to finally do it.

D. Prince said...

I laughed my ass off during this movie. I almost forgot what it was like to laugh so hard while watching a movie, it's been a while.

Devilham said...

I completely LOVED Walk Hard! I watch it whenever it's on (it was in heavy rotation for a bit on cable here), John Reilly did all his own singing you know, and the songs are pretty great!!! Stick around for the credits to hear the self important, narcisistic and hilarious 'Hey, did you here, Dewey Cox died?'

I plan on buying the soundtrack one of these days, it's that good.

joe said...

I've not seen this flick and never heard of Dewey Cox before. I need to get out more.
aLOT more, apparantly..

Anonymous said...

I really liked "Walk Hard." Shouldn't have let Slim see it, though. Now, when he's out in public, he'll start singing out loud, "In my dreams you're blowin' me............kisses." Ha!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Kirby-Thanks for giving me another reason to love your kid so much.

Blueberry said...

We dearly love Walk Hard. Also picked it up in the bins. Big Lots - didn't know they sold DVDs (making a note).