Friday, June 12, 2009

Pop Culture Friday

This week's pop culture question on the Onion AV Club blog is:

Which works of fiction create a world (or a version of reality) that you’d consider most enjoyable to live in?

The world's I'd like to live in that come to us from books of fiction are the Harry Potter world and the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy world. I'd like to spend my youth, the years before I was of drinking age, in Harry Potter's world.
I'd love to go to Hogwarts and hang with all the cool kids and do magic and stuff. I like to think I'd be adopted into the Weasely clan like Harry was and that I'd be best buds with Ron's jokester older brothers.
After I graduated from Hogwarts and became of age to legally buy and consume alcohol, I'd leave Harry's world behind and I'd migrate to the Douglas Adams created world of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.It would be the perfect place for me to spend the rest of my life in, it's mad cap, it's zany, and you can get a stiff drink when you want one. And any world where a towel is a must have is a world I want to live in.

The comic book world I'd most like to live in is the world of Howard Chaykin's Amerikan Flagg.
It seems like a fun place. It's full of buxom women, shoot outs, Commies, greedy capitalists, interstellar space travel, bad TV, talking cats, and humanoid robots.

The fictional film world I'd most like to live in is the world of the Star Wars, not the latest three Star Wars films, the first three that were released. They were rough and tumble, flying by the seat of your pants, make it up as you go along fun. I'd want to hang with Luke, Han Solo, and Princess Leia when they got older and some some experience behind them. However I'd refuse to hang with Yoda and those damn Ewoks.

Now, what fictional worlds would you like to live in?

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Earth, via the Fifth Element.

Mnmom said...

Mayberry - I'd let Aunt Bea do all the cooking.

I always wanted to wiggle my nose like Samantha Stevens and get good food and the book laying across the room to come my way, but first I would have made that horrid man Darrin disappear. What a jerk!

I don't think I could hack Harry Potter's world: I'm always losing things and I'd never be able to keep track of my wand.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

When I was little, I always wanted to live in the Swiss alps with Heidi and drink milk from a bowl and eat melted cheese for every meal.

I still like goats a lot.

Life As I Know It Now said...

you got me with the book blurb--I'm so easy when it comes to books ;~)

hey, I haven't seen you in a while. did I piss you off? it's the sexual politics isn't it?

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

No Liberality you have not pissed me off. And your sexual politics are fine. I just haven't been commenting a lot lately. Sorry.

libhom said...

The fictional world where I have a harem of hairy musclemen sexually obsessed with me.

Anonymous said...

I always wanted to live in the Dick VanDyck show and be a TV writer with Rob Petrie and Sally and Buddy. I used to think that was the best job in the world. Hell, I still think it's the best job in the world.

Snad said...

I want to be a hobbit. I already have hair on my toes.

lisahgolden said...

Lately I've been wanting to live in Midsomer. I know a lot of people get murdered there, but I'm sure I could handle it. Maybe run a book shop or in my wildest dreams help Inspector Barnaby solve the crimes.

Oh, and thank you for recommending Rosemary and Thyme a while back. We're watching them and love it!

John said...

I would want to live in the world of The Jetsons! One of these days!

Distributorcap said...

anywhere where there is no dick cheney or rush limbaugh - anywhere

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Definately Frank Herberts world of DUNE - Fremen in the desert (its a dry heat), the Spice, political intrigue, really evil enemies you enjoy killing, the blue within blue eyes of the girls, riding the worm (get your mind out of the gutter)...its all good.

Keith said...

I'd like to hang out in the fictional world of the Dean Martin Matt Helm spy movies. Getting a chance to hang out with the ultra cool spy, seduce some hot chicks, have lots of drinks, fight some bad guys, you name it.

Video Zeta One said...

Logan's Run - miniskirts everywhere you turn. Buck Rogers same thing.

But best of all (as John has already said) is the Jetsons. A freaking Utopia if there ever was one.

Anonymous said...

I live in a fictional world. Do you guys really think this is real?

I do so much love visiting this dimension, there is so much to entertain me..........

Mauigirl said...

I'm with you on the Harry Potter world until I grew up - then it's Star Trek for me. (original series timeline, not Next Generation era).

Karen Zipdrive said...

Not sure where I'd want to live, but I am sure it wouldn't be with those bitches on "The L Word."
I think Hogwarts would be fun. I'd like to be Hermoine's roomie.
:]

Matthew Hubbard said...

I'd like to spend a weekend in the Hainesville of Village of the Giants. I'd be happy to explain to those young 'uns some of the finer points of ruling the world.

For a modest fee, of course.