Sunday, May 24, 2009

Monkey Movie Reviews

I watched most of the latest David Lynch film Inland Empire the other night. And it had lots of close ups of Laura Dern looking like this in it: As far as I can tell the film was about some people who were making a movie that nearly got made in the past but didn't because the two lead actors were both murdered. Laura Dern plays an actress who gets cast in this film and then as the movie, Inland Empire, moves forward she actually becomes the character in the film she is making. Then she somehow becomes another woman as well and the whole thing falls apart when she "dies" on the streets of Hollywood. I may have it all wrong or I may have it right, I seriously could not tell. After three and a half hours into it I gave up. I'm not even going to pretend that I understood most of it, let alone what the fuck the people with the bunny heads were supposed to mean.

When you start a David Lynch movie you sign on expecting a certain amount of weirdness and a lot of symbolism. When you start this movie you get a solid metric ton of weirdness with a shitload of 'What the fuck.' I love most Lynch movies and I think Laura Dern is a handsome woman who is nice to watch on screen but a person can only take so much cinematic bullshittery.
If you like your movies obscure and inscrutable, then I highly recommend this film. But if you hate films that drag on for ever and make you want to throttle everyone involved about the head and neck, then stay away from Inland Empire. I'll give Laura dern a pass for making this but David Lynch, you got an ass whippin' coming for making this one homey.

I saw this movie last night: It's very funny. It's very very funny. It was written by Paul Rudd, the nicest seeming guy in Hollywood, and a couple of the guys who were in The State. It's got most of the people from The State in it as well, so if you liked that show and the myriad of stuff they've done since, most of which I do with the exception of that show Stella, then you'll like this movie.

Paul Rudd, Seann William Scott, Jane Lynch, the kid who played McLovin, and the little black kid are all exceptionally good. Lynch and the little black kid steal the movie.

I recommend this one highly, although, I'll warn you if you don't like to hear little kids cussing like sailors and the sight of naked boobs offends you, then stay away from this one because it's got both of those things, in spades. The extras rock as well, especially the deleted and alternate scenes and the 'in character off script' scenes.

10 comments:

BeckEye said...

I recommended Role Models recently as well. As for Laura Dern, I find her rubber mouth distracting. Girl has the craziest facial expressions.

beatgrl said...

Great reviews, Dr. Monkey. And I'll probably just stay far far away from Inland Empire.

Anonymous said...

Kids cussing like sailors and ogling boobs? I should Put Slim to work and become a stage mom. Right now, he does that stuff for free.

Cormac Brown said...

I gave up on Lynch about three movies ago. I can understand any artist wanting to put their dreams on the screen, but there has to some basis of reality or at least some solid transitions, so that the audience outside of his head can follow.

Whiskeymarie said...

I loved Role Models- but honestly, Paul Rudd can just stand there doing nothing and I'd still think he's funny as hell.

vikkitikkitavi said...

I can't stand David Lynch. Directors that take the point of view that humanity is irredeemable bore the shit out of me.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Monkey, if you love Laura Dern run, don't walk and get "Citizen Ruth." One of my favorite movies ever. And Burt Reynolds takes on a dangerous role and runs with it. Yes, Burt Reynolds. You must see it. Oh, and it's a satiric look at abortion. Now you know you have to get it.

Anonymous said...

Forgot to add two more reasons you must see Citizen Ruth: Swoozie Kurtz and Mary Kay Place. There, I'm done.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I loved Citizen Ruth. I saw it when it first hit the rental stores.

Anonymous said...

One of my favorites, Dr. Monkey. Saw it in the theaters twice. Bought the VHS then the dvd. It's just perfect. Somehow I knew that you already were a fan.