Tuesday, March 31, 2009

It looks like you're stuck with me for a little longer

Thankfully it was an uneventful trip to the cardiologist yesterday. He found nothing to be concerned about and it looks like my heart will continue to beat for a bit longer.

It was a nice drive down to Knoxville, the sun was shining and the red buds were in full bloom, which is a change from what we usually have to drive through, sheets of rain and driving wind. Since my appointment was later in the afternoon I didn't have to sit in the waiting room and listen to the coven of receptionists who wear scrubs even though they are not nurses be rude to everyone, especially the older patients who are hard of hearing.

I got to see Dr. Hoadley finally about 40 minutes after they took me back and after a pair of nurses asked me all the usual questions and they gave me the usual EKG. My doctor and I had our usual conversation when he came in:

Doctor H: Hi. Are you smoking again?
Me: No. I haven't smoked a cigarette since the night of my heart attack.
Doctor H: Good. Now you need to lose some weight you fat bastard.
Me: Okay. (He starts to unbutton my shirt.) Umm, Doc, I usually make a guy buy me something to eat before I let him take off my clothes.
Doctor H: Haha, very funny. Are you sure you're not smoking?
Me: Of course I'm sure.
Doctor H: (As he uses his stethoscope on my bare chest.) Okay then. Oh yeah, this weight losing thing, get on it Mr. Fatty McButter Belly. And stay off those cigarettes.
Me: (As I button up my shirt.) Will do.
Doctor H: I'll see you in a year and make sure you pay us before you drop dead or something.
Fin.


Actually, I kid, my cardiologist is a nice guy. We get along well and I trust him with my life, after all he did save my life the first night I met him. And since I don't have to see him as much as I used to, I don't mind going to his office in Knoxville as much as I used to. Oh, I still despise the coven of receptionists who wear scrubs even though they aren't nurses but they're a small price to have to pay to see a top notch cardiology guy.

After I finished with my appointment Sparky and I went and had a super duper late lunch/early supper at one of our favorite restaurants in Knoxville, The Sunspot on the strip near the University of Tennessee. After not eating much all day long I was ready to chow down and I had a chicken breast sandwich that was almost as big as my head, some salty as hell fries, and several glasses of sweet tea. I'm not sure what Sparky ate because I was too busy strapping on my own feed bag.

After our meal we went to two of my favorite places in Knoxville, Disc Exchange and Book Eddy.

Disc Exchange sells new and used CD's, DVD's and other entertainment related shit and we picked up three used CD's while there. We got a Replacements CD, an EP on CD by Southern Culture on the Skids, and we scored a used She and Him CD. If you're not familiar with She and Him, they are a musical group that consists of the actress Zooey Deschanel and some guy who plays guitar. Her singing sounds like a cross between Julie London and Patsy Cline, with a dash of natural sweetness thrown in, it very lovely and highly addictive. I now see why Samurai Frog has been on their band wagon for so long now.

To say Book Eddy is a used book store is to say that a used Rolls Royce is just a used car. Book Eddy sells used books yes, but the used books it sells are a cut above, although there are great deals to be found when you go through their stacks. They are also respectful of books at Book Eddy, they don't stick sticky gooey price tags all over the front of their books, they write the price, in pencil, on the first page of the book as as not to devalue the book by defacing the cover. They also carry, in addition to thousands of cool old books, some vintage magazines, record albums, and shelf after shelf of pulp sci fi, mystery, and suspense paperbacks from the 1940's on up through the '70's. I could spend days in that place just looking at all the great pulp covers. I was lucky enough this trip to find some books in the bargain bin such as these two:


I found a few more and I paid a little over three bucks for all of them, woo hoo! Sparky bought some books as well so all in all it was a good excursion. We got new to us music and kick ass used books, could geeks like us ask for more? I don't think so.
It's a good thing I only have to see my cardiologist once a year now because if I went much more than that I'd end up spending far too much time and money in the Disc Exchange and Book Eddy.

22 comments:

Pilkey said...

"Click my heels and jump for joy, I got a clean bill of health from Dr. McCoy." Glad to hear the doc visit went well, but I knew it would cause you, my friend, are consistently headed in the right direction in so many areas. Oh, the "some guy who plays guitar" with the lovely Ms. Deschanel is M. Ward. He produced her CD and has a new one of his own out as well. He's got kind of a laid back vibe. As for She and Him, I like the CD a lot, but admit that I can't be neutral because I think Ms. Deschanel is so cute.

dguzman said...

Way to stay off the cigs, Monkey. Glad your monkey heart is still beating strong.

Miss Alex said...

Glad to hear you're still with me!

Ubermilf said...

I've seen fatter bastards than you.

Cormac Brown said...

Wonderful news for Sparky and all of us Monkey Faithful...though lay off the f-in' salt fries!

Claire said...

I'm glad you're staying healthy!

Sudeaux Lux said...

It's still gotta feel good to get that seal of approval from your doc!

BeckEye said...

Good to hear it, even though I'm kind of pissed that this post has me singing "The heart of monkey muck is still beating..." a la Huey Lewis.

Megan said...

Sounds like an excellent day! But I am cursing BeckEye right now...

Pyzahn said...

Yippee. Stay healthy, Dr. M. I can't imagine the blogosphere without some muck.

Dr. Monkey said...

Cormac-Actually fries are not bad once in awhile. As long as they are cooked in vegatable oil and not animal fat. And the human body needs salt from time to time. :0)

Little Merry Sunshine said...

Congratulations on the successful cardiologist visit! Yeah!

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Doesn't Zooey have a sweet voice? I don't even mind hearing her on the tv ads all the time.

Watch that salt though. Nobody needs very much of it.

Jay Allbritton said...

Hey Monkey,

Glad you're sticking around, my friend.

I'm also glad you found the goodness that is She and Him. Zooey sings a bit on the new Jenny Lewis record, who is awesome in her own right.

John said...

Glad your ticker is still working...what would we do without Monkey Muck!?

And lucky you got to go to Knoxville, home of Tina the famous (you fill in the blank) haha!

Ok now, get to blogging!

K.Line said...

Hey Dr. M - So happy to hear about your clean bill of health!

Anonymous said...

Great news. Very happy to hear that you had a fabulous doctor's visit. Wishing you many many more annual visits.

Sherry Pasquarello said...

i'm so glad you are doing fine

Anonymous said...

I had bypass surgery. Doc told me it was fries with salt and no exercise. Better git yourself some Centrum Silver, once a day, after your two mile walk.

Johnny Yen said...

Glad all is well!

Did you have nice smoke after your meal?

Madam Z said...

"Uneventful" is the best kind of trip to one's cardiologist. Keep on tickin'!

Suzy said...

What all of them said, and more.

My best used book find was last year in Pittsburgh. It was Cinderbelle's 19th birthday, I was killing time til she got out of class, and I found a published screenplay of A Hard Day's Night, one of her favorite movies. Jackpot!