Friday, January 23, 2009

Sunshine patriots

While flipping through the cable channels one night a few years ago I came upon Bill O'Reilly's show for a moment. He and Dennis Miller were bleating some nonsense designed to whip up the meth addicted rubes and the anti immigration nut jobs who polish their guns as soon as they get off work and get back to their trailers. I remember that Miller was saying something to the effect of, "We're in a war Cha Cha and we all damn well better support the President in this thing." Bill O screamed something and then Miller shot back, "Ya know what Billy? I'm supporting the President during war. I don't care if the President is George W. Bush or Hillary Clinton, I'm standing behind the President because I'm a good American like that." Then he made a reference to Kaiser Wilhelm, Polynesian fire dancers, and the Department of Agriculture. His reference, like most of his shtick, was inane and idiotic so I turned it. But that brief exchange stuck in my mind because I knew then that a Democrat was going to win the White House and I hoped that Dennis and his fellow travellers on the right would actually follow through on supporting a Democratic Party President during this time of "war."

Well, after a couple of days I see that they're not going to do what Miller said they should do. The fat drug addict Limbaugh says that he hopes Obama fails. I'm not sure what excuse Miller is going to give for not backing our new Commander in Chief and I doubt I'll ever know it because I don't watch Bill O's show.

And the little people who the big guns in conservative media say they speak for sure as hell aren't supporting our President in this time of war. Case in point, an old college acquaintance of mine. Long time readers of my blog will remember that I went to a small conservative Christian college. And the so called Reagan revolution was going on when I was in school. My college was conservative religiously and politically. If you had scratched some of those right wingers I went to college with you would have found Nazi's underneath.

Well I reconnected with a gal I went to college with on Facebook recently and after I put up a note on inauguration day that said I hoped Bush and Cheney would be tried for their war crimes she commented back that the Bush bashing should stop and that the faulty intelligence that led us to war was the fault of Bill Clinton, who according to her looked the other way in the hunt for Bin Laden, and not George W. Bush. I was amazed, but not surprised, that she was laying the fiasco known as the war of terror on Iraq at the feet of Bill Clinton.

My good friend Vikkitikkitavi proceeded to educate my poor misinformed old college acquaintance. When confronted with the facts, which are always pesky problematic things to a conservative, my college acquaintance became shriller in her defense of her position and her man George W. Bush. I jumped in and tried to mollify and educate the poor girl but alas she was having none of it. In some of her early comments she said that the inauguration showed that America was a great democracy and that she was proud Obama had just been sworn in but a few comments later she said something to the effect of, "Ya'll should be happy, you got your President and change is a comin'!" I wanted to remind her that we all got a new President and that while I may not agree with everything he says or does, he is the President of all the people of this country and he's going to work for all the people, not just church going, gun owning, easily manipulated intellectually bankrupt hicks like her and her family. But as I was writing up a stinging reply to her last comment I remembered that trying to educate a misguided conservative is as big a waste of time as trying to teach a pig to sing is. Pigs can't sing no matter how hard you try to make them and conservatives never learn no matter how many facts you put in front of them.

So it's like I thought it was going to be, Dennis Miller, Bill O, Sean Hannity, Mike Malkin, Mann Coulter, and Laura C. from King College have no intention of supporting our new President in a time of war, even though they insisted that we support the idiot who took us to Iraq based on faulty intelligence that he had fabricated to support his case for war. The folks on the right are patriots when one of theirs is leading the country but when a Democrat is in charge they can't be bothered to support him.

17 comments:

Utah Savage said...

What a great read. You are a better monkey than I. I live in Utah, so I am surrounded by the ignorant and blissfully religious. I never try to engage them in conversation of any kind, since I like the prison of my own creating, not the one I would be slammed in for assaulting some ignorant Mormon moron. My dentists office is full of them. I have had to give up teeth rather than face their shrub loving, war happy, John's a hero bullshit.

dguzman said...

Wow, Vikkitikkitavi's got your back. I'm in awe.

Those shit-for-brains repugs will never be happy until they've nuked the rest of the world and have 98% of all US wealth in their pockets. Screw 'em.

Mike said...

Listen to the hate here. Name calling, wild exaggerations, broad fact-less generalizations. All gun owners and conservatives are Nazis etc. Holy smoke guy, take a chill pill. I own guns and voted republican but also am a hard core atheist and have several college degrees. You only look silly when you attack the right personally but not the issues. Try evengalicals or sometnign that desrves to be dissed.
Best wishes,
Mike in Florida

MommyLisa said...

Dennis Miller - what a waste of space and all that cha cha.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Mike-This post must have hit close to home with you man. I understand, it's okay. You right wingers don't like to be called on your intellectual dishonesty. You folks would rather live in a dream world where everything Bush and the religious right did to our country was deemed to be correct and the right things to do.

Also I was wondering did you go to my college? Because I don't recognize your name. Oh wait, you didn't did you. So then you would not know a god damned thing about the people who did.

Mikey, if you go back and read my post and apply some of the critical thinking that has been absent during the Bush years, you'll see I did not say all gun owners and conservatives were Nazi's. Stop emulating Rush and Hannity and get your facts straight before you speak. Also I did not attack the gal I went to college with personally. I attacked her position on the facts surrounding the war of terror on Iraq.

Now as for who needs to take a chill pill, that person would be you. See Mick, this is my blog and despite all the Republican assualts on freedom of speech und civil liberties under your hero President Bush, I can write and say whatever I like on here as long as I don't advocate the violent overthrow of the US government. So you know what guy? I'll keep on saying whatever the fuck I like and so can you, but not in my comments section anymore. That's right dude, you're banned from leaving any more comments here. And before you scream and cry that I am violating your freedom of speech, I'm not. You're free to spew whatever you like anywhere else but here. Think of it this way, this blog is my house and I'm not going to let some Republican asswipe like you say anything he likes in my house.

Now you run along and have a good day and enjoy the freedom that you'll have under President Obama that Bush tried to take away from us all.

Ubermilf said...

Wow, I'm glad Mike in Florida is here to tell us who "desrves to be dissed." Amazingly, it's ONLY people with whom HE disagrees!


I do have a small, lovingly expressed quibble with you. I don't think that Bush worked for all the "church going...hicks". I think Bush worked for himself and his rich friends. He was only able to trick a great many other people into believing he worked on their behalf.

Other than that, if I didn't like the way you expressed yourself, I wouldn't come back here. I certainly enjoy letting out my frustrations on my blog; I wouldn't think of telling you the "right" way to vent yours.

Ubermilf said...

Sorry.

I should've assumed you'd address all of that yourself.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Ubie-I don't consider people like you, Fran, Bubs, Rev. Shuck, and some others as the hicks I talked about in my post. Just as I know not all conservatives are idiots, I know that not all Christians are the right wing hicks that Bush relied on to keep him in office. Sorry if I don't make that clear some times.

Ubermilf said...

No worries. I wasn't talking about the "church going." I was just pulling out that phrase because I think there are a lot of poor, working poor or other non-billionaires who were fooled into thinking Bush worked for them because he told them what they wanted to hear.

But they got screwed along with the rest of us; they either won't admit it or are ignoring it.

okjimm said...

Absolutely a great write! I have encountered some of the same. Conservatives that 'dissed' me, because I would not back the Prez(Bush), and told me I was very unpatriotic. Now they will not back the new Prez.

Frankly, I think it is more a sign of the times.... the snide, sarcastic, demeaning dialogue that has supperceded reason and understanding. Some folks do not believe in change.... unless it is the change they want. I found that most ultra-conservatives do not want any change, unless it is the 11 cents from the $1.89 Starbucks they bought in the morning.

Mnmom said...

How DO they do that!? Liberals are labeled unamerican for not supporting W, but they can vomit all over Obama and somehow they always get away with it! It's a frustration that really sticks in my craw.

And remember my mantra: not all conservatives are stupid, but all stupid people are conservative.

Little Merry Sunshine said...

I was at an event last night and ran into some Right Wing Nut Job (RWNJ) who for some dumb reason I'm friends with on Facebook. He ripped into me about how much I pissed him off on Inauguration Day with all my Twitters and Facebook status updates about the inauguration and Obama. He started railing into Obama (you know the conspiracy theory shit) and so I just simply said that after 8 years of Bush spending my great- great- great- grandchildren's money, I was eagerly awaiting Obama's new policies. I also pointed out that when Bush arrived 8 years ago, he had a surplus and had not only blown it, but had put us so far into debt we might never get out. RWNJ then informed me that it was CLINTON (as in BILL) who is responsible for the recession we are in now. He tried to explain his bat shit crazy reasoning to me, but I interrupted him and told him to unfriend me if he was so offended, but that he was flat out wrong and ignorant. With that, I walked away.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Good for you LMS.

Ubermilf said...

I had to disallow anonymous commenters now, because of this ugliness.

Now my a couple of my friends and one of my sisters can't comment on my blog, but I can't stand being open to ugly attacks anymore.

I'm sorry if that's censorship, but I'm easily depressed.

Anonymous said...

I always ask my hard core Bush friends and family if I can have the difference between the tax refunds they got from Bush and the tax refunds they're going to get back from Obama. Curiously, no one has taken up my offer.

Mauigirl said...

Good post. It is always an interesting thing to see how the tables turn when the other side wins.

Ironically I was trying to convince a conservative friend of mine that she should now be supporting Obama now that he won and she was incensed with me - because she said I had done nothing but bash Bush the whole time he was president. She may have had a point there...;-)

Anonymous said...

It's like I always say;

You can lead a conservative to water, but you can't make them admit that it's water.