Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Feel like reading another feel good Obama victory story?

Sparky's dad is in his mid 80's and he's been a rock ribbed Republican all his life. The man told people for years that Archie Bunker was one of his political role models. He had cataract surgery on one of his eyes yesterday and he still managed to vote.

When Sparky called him tonight, which is his birthday as well, to see how he was feeling and to wish him a happy birthday, she said, "Well daddy, I guess I got you a new President for your birthday."

She told me he laughed a little bit and then he said in a serious tone, "You know I never voted for a Democrat for President in my entire life...until yesterday that is. I think that young fella is good fit for the job."

When the Republicans lose the vote of an 80 something World War 2 vet then you know they've lost their cachet with the rest of us.

And in a side note to the Obama victory last night, how cool would this be? It's going to be nice to have competent people in the White House cabinet for a change.

13 comments:

Some Guy said...

Kennedy would be perfect for that job!

Bridget Jones said...

It's too good to be true but am estatic that it is. Way to go you guys.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I am all verklempft reading about Sparky's dad! What a wonderful thing!

Gifted Typist said...

I'm that german thing that Barbara is too!

Sparkleneely said...

Hooray for Sparky's dad! My mom, who's 83 and voted Republican forever, voted for Obama. I like to think that my dad, a WWII vet, would have as well.

All these stories just make me feel so GOOD.

Sudeaux Lux said...

Wow, that says a lot that Sparky's Dad voted for Obama.

barbie2be said...

here i was thinking I was the only one that was getting a new president for their birthday. of course mine is today so i guess that doesn't really count.

C.J. said...

DAMN COOL!!

I am still in a kind of shocked giddiness over here!

Claire said...

Awesome story. When I was on my way out from voting, I saw a very old white gentleman, at least 85, walking with assistance and wearing an Obama cap. He had the most defiant look on his face; I think he was gearing for battle with the election judges who were likely to tell him to take off the cap (no electioneering in the polling place). I was tempted to follow him just to see what would happen!

Claire said...

and my Reagan Democrat Catholic mama voted for Obama too...she even put a sticker on her car!

Elizabeth said...

That's an incredible story about Sparky's dad.

Missy said...

So exciting! Hooray for Sparky's Dad! and Happy Birthday to him!

Whiskeymarie said...

I knew I would feel good if Obama won, but I never thought that I would feel ten pounds lighter and still be in a good mood two days later.
God, this feels good.