Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Goodbye old friend

One of the things I decided to give up in our move to the new house was my truck. We've been recycling things and trying to be more earth friendly in our lives and since my truck has been burning oil for some time now and recently had started to leak oil, and since we moved to a house that isn't on a steep hill like our condo was, I decided that the time was right to get rid of my old truck. Here's the last shot I took of it:
I was going to try and sell it to someone but the more I thought about it the more I felt bad about trying to pawn off on someone a truck that burnt oil, leaked oil, and that needed an alignment. So I donated it to the National Kidney Foundation. If they fix it up and resell it, then that's cool with me. If they strip it and sell it for parts, then that's cool too.

To tell the truth I'm glad to be shed of it. I don't need the expense of operating it anymore. And I don't need to be polluting the atmosphere and contributing to the current climate crisis by driving it. We now live in a more residential area so I can walk to some places I need to go and before I got rid of the truck I bought a bike and I can ride it when I want. I can also take the bus to some destinations here in town and if I need to I can take Sparky to work and I can borrow her car. All in all the extra walking will do me good, as will the biking, and I feel a lot better about not polluting the planet with my old truck.

I'll miss it for a time but I'll get used to not having it. Farewell old Nissan XE, you served me well for over 270, 000 miles.

12 comments:

dguzman said...

*sniffle*

Missy said...

What a nice tribute!

I hope you enjoy the challenge and bliss of life without a car at your constant disposal.

We keep only 1 car and it works out well. I actually just started riding a bike around more in addition to the bus and walking. One benefit is that I have mellowed out and become much more patient...which is nice!

MommyLisa said...

I almost teared up *sniff*

wish I worked closer to home now again! My road hogging commute with the new job is 20 miles across BOTH twin cities - stiffling.

Dr Zibbs said...

You should have told a bum that if he ran it off a cliff and it still works he can keep it.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting a bike. It's a good move all around.

Johnny Yen said...

Good for you!

I got rid of my old Blazer a few weeks ago and replaced with a used Toyota Corolla that gets, literally, three times the mileage. And like you, I got a bike. It's really liberating to be able to get around without burning lots of fuel, isn't it?

kim said...

Somehow, even without your truck, I bet that you, Muck, burn a lot of gas....

:)

K.Line said...

Great eulogy for a friend :-) I've tagged you with a little award (not sure if you are down with these things). It'll be up on my blog later today...

Mnmom said...

Rust in Peace

Anonymous said...

I've donated a few old clunkers to charity, but around here, a used truck is as good as gold. People used to leave notes on our old Toyota all the time, begging us to call them when we were ready to sell it.

PJ said...

Now I'll never get to ride in the back... oh well (cries)

Elizabeth said...

Awwwwwwwwwwww.

Good move Dr. Monkey!