Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Bummer

While hanging out with my blog and real life friend Snad today I picked up these three vintage magazines:


Some prig had cut all pictures of naked women out of the Playboy's. I bought them for their kitsch value and for the crazy old photos and ads that they are rife with but had I known that there were no nudes in them I would not have bought them.

The issue of Holiday, the cover of which was too big to scan fully by the way, is from 1949 and it's chock full of vintage photos. There are tons of photos of Wisconsin, Newport, and of the then novel sporting event called the Tour De France. Look for some to be used on here and all of them to end up eventually on my Flickr account.

While I bitch about the nudes being cut out of the old Playboy's there were a few salacious items the Censor in Chief missed, one of which is this great Vargas illustration:
Hubba hubba to infinity.

16 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a rook. I'm sorry, Dr. Monkey!

kim said...

Sexy, sexy. I think I like the picture of Wisconsin better.

Gifted Typist said...

I wonder if the picture cutter was a moralistic fundamentalist or just a perv who pasted them all up on his basement wall

D. Debil said...

That's an epic set of gams.


=

Dr Zibbs said...

I love the old school playboy's. Brings back memories.

Miss Alex said...

I got one at a garage sale this summer. HARD COVER it must have been some special edition... from the 70's... Lesson learneed

they didnt like to shave then AT ALL

D. Debil said...

Modern pubic hair-styling has made great advances in the past two decades.

=

dguzman said...

What Gifted Typist said. I'm guessing someone's got a basement with quite the little decoupage gallery.

Dean Wormer said...

You REALLY want to know about American culture then pick up old Playboys.

Jess Wundrun said...

Hey, love the Holida Magazine.

I can see my house from there!

Suzy said...

I want to see the Wisconsin pics. BTW -- why is shaving so important?

Phil said...

I used to love the Vargas Girls.

I certainly have not seen anything near as classy since they stopped putting them in.

barbie2be said...

i love vargas gals!

Whiskeymarie said...

I LOVE Holiday magazine. I have a few and am always looking for more, they're SO cool.

The vintage Playboys are pretty awesome too- from a time when women were nice and curvy, the way they should be.
;)

Chris said...

Playboy? Damn, you're lucky. I only get to peek at National Geographic. (And THAT is at the public library.)

D. Debil said...

Rolling Stone has some hot nomad picks this fortnight.


=