Thursday, August 28, 2008

Night three

My quick impressions:
  • With Bill's speech the Clintons go to for two. I kind of wish they'd let Chelsea or Roger Clinton speak so they'd carry on the family tradition.
  • Why the hell didn't John Kerry come out swinging in 2004 like he did tonight?
  • Biden's speech was good but not great. I'm not worried though, he's a seasoned campaigner with a quick wit and a sharp tongue. Plus his son is going to Iraq and if that kid comes back in one piece, then we may have the makings of a progressive dynasty on our hands.
  • Beau Biden's speech introducing his dad was pure genius.
  • Tammy Duckworth and Rep. Patrick Murphy gave great speeches. I wonder how many vets they'll find to stand up at the republican convention and say that they want their fellow soldiers to serve 100 years in Iraq or who want to bomb bomb bomb Iran.
  • The Speilberg film-eh. It was okay. I'm very tired of Speilberg in general. I wish they'd have let Spike Lee do that movie instead.
  • The surprise appearance by Obama was inspired and it had to be done. It's his convention after all and if he had only bothered to show up at that football stadium then he would have looked snobbish and elitist. I hope they bring both families onstage tomorrow night after he accepts the nomination.
  • It sucks that they don't do the roll call of states during prime time anymore, it's one of the things I loved so much about watching conventions when I was a kid.
  • We come a long long way as a nation. Fifty years ago Sen. Obama would have been lynched in parts of this country for kissing Jill Biden that way he did tonight. I cold just hear Dobson, Roberston, and all the rest of those hateful christian ministers screaming that he is going to burn in hell for kissing a white woman like that.

And finally here's my last word on the hardcore Clinton-ista's who say they'll never vote for Sen. Obama, you people need to suck it up, get over it, stop your whining, and vote for the Democratic ticket. If you don't then you're like the black people who opposed integration and civil rights, the Jews who were Kapos in the concentration camps, and the gays who support the Republican party. You had your moment in the sun and now it's time to vote for the ticket who is going to protect your reproductive rights, your human rights, and your civil rights. Your gal put up on hell of a fight but it's over now, it's time to you stop fighting it and time to join us in the fight against a third Bush term.

7 comments:

Little Merry Sunshine said...

The Roll Call vote had me in tears. I only happened to be home and would have been pissed if I'd missed it. Hillary was brillant. The Roll Call vote was always one of my favorite parts.

Bill was great, BUT it took me awhile to get sucked into his speech. And just as I was sucked in and ready for the tears, he was done. It kinda felt like sex ALMOST having an orgasm, but not quite.

Who the heck was that guy with John Kerry's hair? THAT was the same guy that ran 4 years ago? REALLY? That speech was f'ing inspired. Why did he wait 4 years to show up?

I didn't see Tammy Duckworth's speech b/c I was still on MSNBC or CNN and they went to commercial! She's from my state and I was irritated. Do you know that she lost BOTH legs in IRAQ? And what's worse is that she ran for Congress last year and the GOP tried to paint her as unpatriotic b/c now she's against the war. And her hubby is in Iraq now, I think. She lost her race for Congress by 2%.

The best part of the day for me was that the Illinois delegation, which has been notorious for all their infighting, kissed an made up and it's all on YouTube. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it. It was not on national TV.

Mnmom said...

I miss the roll call too - bring it back to prime time!!!

Jess Wundrun said...

I was watching on PBS even though David Brooks is a fricking tool. Then I discovered a live feed channel on my DirectTV! Pundit free viewing of the convention. There were lots of people the regular networks were skipping that I really liked.

I saw John Kerry three or four times in '04. (Battleground state) He really was like that on the stump, but he never translated to soundbites, so you probably didn't catch him.

Elizabeth said...

I missed everything, so I'm glad I can rely on the Expert Dr. Monkey to keep me informed. Thank you.

Romius T. said...

i work durning all the conventions and did not tivo the event. I am glad a trusted blogger could recap the action. and yes that means today you are my blog friend of the day that i will read and post about!

Anonymous said...

Loved, loved, loved all the speeches. Tammy Duckworth kicked fucking ass, and I believe she'll make it to public office before she's through.

Distributorcap said...

no one says it better than you