Thursday, July 3, 2008

Monkey Movie Round Up

Here's some quick reviews of the films and one TV series on DVD that I've seen recently.
This was the darkest Harry Potter film yet, as it should be since the book it is based on is very dark. It's also one of the best yet. These films keep getting better and better in my opinion and it's because the kids are getting older and they are growing into their roles. Yes, the books are a bit different and things get left out or glossed over in the films, but that's to be expected because they want to make a two hour movie, not a two day movie.
****
Stand out performances in this one are given by Imelda Staunton, Evanna Lynch, and the guy who plays Lucius Malfoy. The principals also turn in good performances as usual.
****
I can't wait for the next one. And maybe I'll get around to reading the last book in the series sometime soon.
Oy my god, I fecking loved this film.
****
I loved the books and I was worried about the film until I saw that Ms. Satrapi was the co-director. She and her co-director took her two books and they pruned out some of the stuff that wasn't really germane to the story as a whole and they left more than enough to keep you interested in this fascinating tale of one women's journey to freedom.
****
For those of you who don't know Persepolis is the story of a young girl, Marjane Satrapi, who got out of Iran during the Islamic revolution, lived in Europe for awhile, went back, and then got out again. Ms. Satrapi's story is a universal one of teenage angst and rebellion. It's also a touching story of how she made her way in a world that tried to crush her and turn her into something alien.
****
This film is important because it shows that the people of Iran are not the Islam crazed fundamentalist terrorists the Bush controlled media wants us to think they are. This film shows that people in Iran are just like us, they work hard, they love and want what's bets for their family, and a good many of them hate the idiots who are running their country, just like many of us do. It does a hell of a good job to show that Iranians are human, just like we are.
****
I can't recommend this film highly enough. It's beautifully drawn and animated. See it, you won't be disappointed.
Michel Gondry is the most inventive film maker out there today. His Be Kind Rewind is not as "out there" as The Science of Sleep was but it's a better film because it's not.
****
This film is a light comedy with a message and that message is that friendship and community are far more important and lasting than any corporation. When Jack Black, in a subdued performance, well subdued for him anyway, erases all the videotapes in Danny Glover's video store, he and his best pal Mos Def, who gives yet another great cinematic performance, remake all the movies in shorter "Sweded" versions. Their remakes are a hit and everyone in the neighborhood lines up to rent and be in them. Of course as soon as the corporations find out they aren't making money off the films they shut the whole thing down, but then something great happens. The community has become awakened and it decides to keep making movies, not remakes of Hollywood pap, instead they make honest to goodness original movies.
****
This was Black's best role in years and it was because he was reigned in. He's at his best when his manic energy is curbed and it's used for good and not evil. Mos Def just keeps getting better and better. The rest of the cast was fine as well.
****
I highly recommend this movie.

They kept piling it on Mary Louise Parker's character this season and she kept finding ways to get out of it. I can't be objective about this show anymore, I love it too much to be objective.

If you have never seen it, go back and watch the first two seasons and then watch this one. It's the show I always dreamed someone would make while I was getting stoned all those years ago.

10 comments:

Bridget Jones said...

Hey I've actually SEEN the first two movies and agree with you. Not up on the last two. Thanks for the reviews, Dr. M!

Dean Wormer said...

I agree on the Harry Potter although the only funny part of the awful comedy Epic Movie was them making fun of the age of the actors in the Potter films.

I liked Be Kind Rewind as well but the ending was sort of abrupt as I recall.

dguzman said...

Great reviews--I'd been wondering about the strange casting in "Be Kind Rewind," (Danny Glover and Jack Black? WTF?) but now I'll give it a spin.

And good-on-ya for liking the HP movie--though I thought they eliminated too much from the book. I hope the next one sticks more closely to the book, because it's the best book of the series.

dguzman said...

Oh, and I gave you an award! Come by my impeachment bloggy and see!

GETkristiLOVE said...

We just signed up for Showtime so we could see WEEDS and DEXTER!

Life As I Know It Now said...

I've read Marjane Satrapi's books and was not aware there was a movie out there based on her work. I will definately have to see it!

NotSoccer Mom said...

yup, after watching the dvds of season 3, i too signed up for showtime to watch more weeds! LOVE that show. it's just hysterical.

Elizabeth said...

I will respectfully skip over the "Persepolis" review as I have not yet seen the film. I can't wait. I did see that you 'fecking loved it,' and that's good enough for me.

mwb said...

I've had the HP but haven't watch it yet, just waiting for the magic chunk of time to do it one sitting.

Strongly agree with Persepolis which I recently got the DVD of. And like you still haven't read the third book.

Westcoast Walker said...

I agree with you about Gondry's film - it is really about forming community in an increasingly fragmented and corporatized world. Gondry very playfully shows the possibilities of what can happen when people get a sense of hope through a common purpose and their connection to one another - I also appreciate how he used average folks from the neighbourhood for all the supporting roles.

You also go em excited about Weeds again - I only made it part way through season 1, though I feel inspired to revisit it now.