Tuesday, March 18, 2008

And who will you be spending this evening with?

Me, I'll be spending it with the guy who directed these films:

That's right kids, Dr. Monkey is going to see actor/activist/film director Spike Lee speak at East Tennessee State University. If you never see any other Spike Lee film, you owe to the people of New Orleans to see his documentary on the aftermath of hurricane Katrina called When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts. The title of his talk is America Through My Lens. It should be interesting as hell. No worries if you can't make it, I'll write about it later.

9 comments:

Cup said...

Lucky you!

Joe said...

Very cool. I wonder if he'll reference the speech Barack Obama just gave on race.

I still haven't gotten through the second half of "When the Levees Broke", it was too hard. My daughter got it for me as a present when it came out, and it's brilliant, but lord it's so painful.

dguzman said...

Wow, it should be a very interesting night! Can't wait to hear your take on it.

Missy said...

You are so lucky! Enjoy!

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I'll bet that will be a fascinating lecture. Can't wait to hear about it.

barbie2be said...

cool. tell him that he rocks!

Crayons said...

I love what Spike Lee does with the medium. I've seen all of them. My favorite was, by far, his documentary on the levees -- even though the film was uneven and a bit rushed. I can't imagine Spike Lee as a really moving speaker. He seems pretty introverted and not too eloquent with words. But I'll be eager to hear about what you heard.

Johnny Yen said...

Lee is a great filmmaker. I thought "Do the Right Thing" asked a lot of hard questions-- and not just to white folks. I loved Summer of Sam and 25th Hour, as well.

Anonymous said...

I just watched "When the Levees Broke" last night. My eight year old made it into the second act before falling asleep. I'm glad he got to see some of it, but am thankful he missed most of my crying.

I agree with crayons that it was uneven. But I understand the rush to release it now, when it can influence the direction things go down in New Orleans.

So who knows how it will age. It will be fascinating to revisit it with a historical perspective a few decades down the road.