Sunday, February 3, 2008

You think I'm psycho, don't you Mama

I first heard this song on the second CD in the Almost Blue reissue. I loved how Elvis Costello's voice made the song sound so creepy and chilling. Then about a week ago my friend Keith sent me the link to this video. The original sounds even more creepy than Elvis's cover.

Sparky hates this song and Keith said he thought he might have traumatized his sons when he played it for them, so beware. Me, I think it's one of the greatest most underrated country songs ever written.

9 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Although I am not normally a fan of country music, country noir can be very powerful. Case in point, Furnace Room Lullaby by the glorious Neko Case.

Snad said...

Damnz! Now why'd he have to go and kill Johnnie's puppy? That's just too far.

Mnmom said...

It takes all kinds I guess

Ed said...

I first heard this song by the Australian group "Beasts of Bourbon" (1988) and thought it was pretty creepy, but they really didn't change much from the original Jack Kittel version that you posted. Interesting promo video for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy9oLsN5qzk&feature=related

Snad said...

I followed the you-tube link to see what else was close to it in the video stream - a few versions of this song - Beasts of Bourbon, Elvis C., some crap with Nicholson from "The Shining", and right in the middle of all that there is a video clip of a Canadian couple - he's 106 and she's 100. Go figure.

Joe said...

OH MAN, THANK YOU!

I originally picked up the Elvis C version of this as an import single or bootleg years ago, and didn't hear the original for many years after that. This song is a long-time favorite. You're firing on all cylinders lately, doctor. Good job!

Fran said...

i am afraid to press play...

Missy said...

I love country month.

May I recommend some Old 97's or Meat Purveyors? They are "alt-country", but enjoyable.

Anonymous said...

Although I'm a tremendous fan of his early stuff (up through Trust.) And I like lots of early country.

I've never actually listened to Almost Blue. I really should give it a spin some time.