Friday, February 15, 2008

True Employment Tales

I finally saw this movie the other night:
Yeah, I know. Sometimes I'm a bit behind the curve on things.

I liked this movie for a couple of reasons.

First, I liked it because the suspense built slowly and they scared you, or in this case me, without resorting to showing any actual violence. It was kind of like a Pinter play in that regard, the menace and violence were heightened by only alluding to them and the threat of violence was more scary than the act itself.

Secondly, I liked it because the gal in it was a cutie, yeah, I know, I'm shallow. I could watch her in anything because she had that girl next store freshness and cuteness to her and she had a nice butt to boot.

And finally I liked it because the filmmakers broke the mold when they did their marketing campaign. They built such a buzz around this film back when it came out that by the time it came out everyone was talking about it. Which brings me to the True Employment Tale portion of this post.

When the video of this movie hit the stores people were renting it and buying it in droves. I was still working for Myers Tire Supply back then and as you can imagine a lot of people who worked for the places I sold to were the ideal target customer for this film. Guys in the tire and retread shops were going on about it almost everywhere I went in the week or so after it's release on video and the gals who worked the desks in the offices that issued me purchase order numbers also were chattering about it.

One of my main customers back in those days was a retread shop in Hariman, TN called Tim's Tire. Tim's was one of the few independant truck tire retread shops in the USA and to look at the place you'd think it was the biggest dump you ever saw. But you'd be wrong. Tim and his family, which consisted of him, his brothers, and all their familes, made millions off that truck tire retread shop. But the thing about them was they enjoyed working so every day they'd go in and work in one of the dirtiest, noisest, most labor intensive industries there is today. The other thing about Tim and his family was they were all nice people but they were all devoted evangelical Christians. So it surprised me one day when the young gal in the office asked me if I had seen The Blair Witch Project yet. Being nice, yeah I know, it was a stretch for me to be nice to one of those fundies but back then Tim's was my biggest customer so I had to be nice to everyone in there, I said I had not seen it but that I had heard alot about it and I asked her if she liked it. The gal, who was every bit of 18 years old, nodded yes and she breathlessly told me that every bit of the movie was true and the people who died in it got what they had coming to them because they messed around with witchcraft. I rolled my eyes and I told her that it was just a movie and that no one really died. Well, the young thing did not take lightly to me contradicting her and she insisted it was true and they people really died. I gave her a patronizing smile and I told her that she was mistaken. She gave me the evil eye and she snatched my invoice out of my hand and then she swiveled her seat away from me and back to her computer screen. For the next two years after that she never smiled at me or said a word to me when she saw me there.

In another tire shop in Kingsport, TN a guy who I spoke to every week and who did most of the ordering for his store told me he had just seen Blair Witch and that it was so cool and that it was so sad that those poor kids had to die like that and how wild it was that it was all caught on video. Despite the reception I got from the last person I corrected I had to tell him the truth as well. He scolded me and said that indeed those kids died and that it was all true.

The next week I went in that Kingsport shop and my guy walked up with a sheepish grin. He said, "You were right man, that movie wasn't real after all. I seen that girl on Conan O'Brien the other night." He and I got along great after that and he always tried to give me the biggest order he possibly could.

Ah the power of movies, it affects us all differently.

12 comments:

Dr. Zaius said...

You mean it's not real? What a relief!

Coaster Punchman said...

Something's wrong with the comments - I'm typing but nothing is appearing. So sorry if you get this multiple times.

In short I thought the movie was real when I was watching it in the theater and only afterward was told it wasn't a documentary. F***ing freaked me out at the time.

Coaster Punchman said...

Oh and I hated all three of those kids so I was glad when they got it. I especially hated the girl - she was thoroughly annoying. Sorry.

Blueberry said...

Some people make you feel like a genius, don't they? (not saying you AREN'T... just... you know... oh never mind.)

That girl probably thinks "The Ten Commandments" is a documentary.

Joe said...

As I recall, part of the marketing campaign was a faux-documentary on the Blair Witch Project. It showed on cable, and that's part of where the rumors about this being "real" came from.

And I agreed with CP. Personally, I'm easily irritated by people in movies who are whiningly incompetent in the outdoors.

Good times!

C.J. said...

When this movie first came out, it scared the bezeezus out of me. Couldn't sleep for like a week!!

Claire said...

My sister and her friends all completely believed that the movie was true when it came out...their excuse was that they were 11. :)

Barbara Bruederlin said...

That film was brilliant in its marketing and in its camera work. There have been a lot of imitators since, but BWP started it.

dguzman said...

I still haven't seen it! But now you've TOTALLY ruined it for me.

BTW, I saw Eagle vs. Shark the other night. Kinda interesting, but I liked your review better. Although I will say that the climactic "fight" scene was worth the rental!

Wandering Coyote said...

Man, I saw this movie in the theatre when it first came out and it scared the shit out of me so badly that I was put off camping for many years and had to sleep with the light on in the hallway for weeks afterward. To this day, I have not been able to rewatch the movie, even though there are things I still have questions about and want some clarification over that I can only get by actually watching it again. NO WAY. Cannot do it!!

GETkristiLOVE said...

The best thing about that movie for me was freaking out my friends after they saw it the first time. I actually woke up in the middle of the night while camping, snuck out of the tent, constructed some weird stick like thingy and put it outside the tent door. My tentnate was pretty sketched out when she left the tent the next morning. Good times!

Micgar said...

My wife and I really liked it. Everyone else we talked to about it didn't seem to agree-they hated it. I liked that it seemed "1st person" and that it was not your typical slasher movie-it built suspense and then scared you with inferences-it didn't need guts and blood. It was like a campfire spooky ghost story on film!