Friday, February 8, 2008

I told you she would be back

In this great duet with ol' possum face, that's George Jones in case you didn't know, she's got a much better hair do than she had in yesterday's video and her dress is nicer as well.

I've always loved this song even though it got me kicked out of the clubhouse bar at the Tri-Cities Golf and Country Club back in 1984. I was just a young thing back then, barely old enough to buy booze legally, and when this song came on the loudspeakers I started to sing along in a pretty loud voice, and of course I sang both parts of the duet. I thought I sounded pretty good but the gal running the bar that day didn't. She jerked my beer from my hand and she demanded to see my ID. I handed her my college ID and she said no that that would not do, she wanted to see my drivers license. I did not have one at the time and I would not get one until almost 5 years later, so she threw me out. I had to go sit in the car and wait on my friends to finish their beers. I didn't mind much because I was the one with the weed that day so I just rolled up a big ol' doob and I got stoned as I sang "Golden Rings" at the top of my lungs.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Visiting your blog this month is like reliving my childhood - all that's missing is the tupperware and family camping trips! George Jones was a staple in my house, still is I guess. My dad was a huge country fan. Tammy, George, Conway, Loretta, you name it, we had 'em. And they were always on the car stereo when we'd travel. Thanks for bringing up the great memories. Just what the Doctor M. ordered!

Joe said...

Thank you so much for running these classic country videos. They're wonderful.

My mom had a home computer, briefly, for a few months after my brother bought it for her as a gift. She was always intimidated by the thing, and never once used it by herself (she'd use it if my kids or my brother's wife were over) It's a shame, because she would LOVE watching these videos.

dguzman said...

What Karen said--so much so, in fact, that I'm wondering whether she and I grew up in the same household!

I'm vaulted back to Saturday afternoons/evenings: Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, Hee Haw, Lawrence Welk, dinner, then Carol Burnett. *sigh*