Friday, December 21, 2007

I'm actually Mr. Christmas, really, I am

Despite what my previous post may have led you to believe, I actually love the holiday season. I send out Christmas/Happy Holiday cards the day after Thanksgiving and I keep an eye out for gifts that Sparky and others might like all year around. Here's a list of some of my favorite holiday related things:
1) Mojo Nixon's Horny Holidays is my favorite Christmas CD.
2) My favorite Christmas song is Christmas Wrapping by the Waitresses.Coming in a close second though is Robert Earl Keen's Merry Christmas From The Family, because it reminds me so much of Christmases I've had here in Tennessee and Virginia. Both songs and many more can be found on Beth's great Christmas mixes. I love Beth more than she'll ever know for doing all those great mix tapes for us. Merry Christmas to you Beth!

3) My favorite Christmas book/TV special is:
However, if I ever meet Ron Howard and Jim Carrey, I'm giving them both an ass whippin' for making this great book into such a shitty live action film.

4) Speaking of Christmas movies some of my favorites are:I love the Christmas scene at the end and how can you not love Toni Collette, Rachel Weisz, Hugh Grant, and the kids in this film?

It's not a "holiday movie" per se, but it does take place at Christmas and it's a damn clever movie. An anti war film that takes place on Christmas, what's not to love. If you haven't seen it, watch it soon.
For pure sweetness at Christmas time, you can't beat this one. Watch out for James Caan in this movie though, he may scare some small children.
I love most all of the Scrooge movies, except for the George C. Scott version, but this is the one I love the most. Bill Murray is one of my favorite actors/comedians/golfers of all time and I also have crushes on Karen Allen, Carol Kane, and Alfrie Woodard.
5) My favorite Christmas beverage is:


It's perfect for Christmas, it's got a red star on top, just like our Christmas tree.

17 comments:

GETkristiLOVE said...

I like Mojo's Stuffin' Martha's Muffin for a good Christmas song. And of course, no Christmas is complete in GKL's house without watching The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Will Sparky mind if I come over and grab a Heiney?!

Anonymous said...

Hey Dr. Monkerstein, did you ever see that golfing show that Bill Murray did with his brothers a few years ago? Funny as hell and right up your alley.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Mr. Christmas! You named one of my favorite all time movies. I love About a Boy. In fact, I got the DVD for The Boy a couple of years ago for....Christmas.

Time to pull it out and watch it again. Thanks for the reminder. 'Course it will be followed up with Love Actually and the rest of the day The Spawn and I will goof around the house driving MathMan insane with bad British accents.

But, hey, everyone needs tradition, right?

Suzy said...

Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses? I LOVE that song. There was a time in my life when it fit so perfectly.

About A Boy ... check.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas ... I am debating going out to a club tomorrow night to hear Ben and Leo Sidran do their annual reading of it. Could be fun.

We just watched one of my favorite Christmassy movies: Little Women with Winona Ryder. I cry every time I see it. Tonight Sparkles, Cinderbelle and I also laughed derisively at Claire Danes. She's just dreadful in that movie! But everything else, the costumes, the music, the scenery, Winona, Gabriel Byrne, Susan Sarandon as the ever-wise Marmee ... I love it.

And I got to finish knitting one of a pair of mittens. Shhh. They're for Sparkly Sea Cow.

Fran said...

You and me- we gots lots in common dear Monkey. I love that!

Ubermilf said...

I don't see why secular humanists can't embrace Christmas stuff with wild abandon.

I don't believe the dead rise for one night on October 31, yet I rock the hell out of Halloween.

Fun is fun.

Micgar said...

Monkey: I really love About a Boy also! Its in my top 5 movies easily! i know a lot of people don't like Hugh, but I think he was different from his usual bumbling kind of character in this movie. I also loved the soundtrack by Badly Drawn Boy! He is in my top 5 of music easily! Great movie! I am gonna have to check out your other recommendations! They sound good too!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

GKL-I love a gal who likes Mojo!

Kirby-I missed that series but I'll keep an eye out for it! Thanks for the heads up.

D Cup-I love doing bad accents! And I like Love Actually as well. Maybe Sparky and I should move in with you and Mathman and the kids for the holidays.

Suzy-I've never seen that version of Little Women, I may check it out sometime. And I wonj't breathe a word to Sparkly Sea Cow.

Fran-It's cool and scary that we have some much in common. :)

UberMILF-Tell ya what, let's just call each other "citizen" or "friend" or "pal" and let's drop the use of other labels. Okay buddy?

Micgar-I think yo'll like Joyeux Noel if you ever see it, it's touching and bittersweet.

Ubermilf said...

are you mad at me? Don't be mad at me.

It's Christmas.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

UberMILF-No hon, I'mm not mad at you. I just hate being labeled or pigeonholed.

Johnny Yen said...

Scrooged is hands-down my favorite Christmas movie, if only for Bill Murray's line:

"The bitch hit me with a toaster!"

Micgar said...

I am gonna have to check that flick out for sure-I have liked most of your recommendations!

Wandering Coyote said...

What about Bad Santa?

Cup said...

Thanks for the love, Sir Monkey! I give 'em because I love y'all, too. And, dammit, I never got a Mojo track on the mix tapes this season, did I?

My New Year's resolution? To get back to reading blogs.

Christmas kisses!

NotSoccer Mom said...

totally ditto on no. 3!!!

Ed said...

I've never heard Mojo Nixon's christmas album, but I'd like to. That Robert Earl Keen song is great. And if you like that song, I'm surprised you didn't have "A Christmas Story" as one of your favorite movies. Many of the scenes in that movie were painfully familiar to me.

Ed said...

Oh! I forgot to mention Bob & Doug McKenzie's version of "The Twelve Days of Christmas" as one of my all-time favorites.