Thursday, September 27, 2007

Getting older

One night back when I still did improv comedy back in the mid to late 90's the fact that I was getting older got hammered home to me in a big way.

We asked for a famous person's name to build a scene around and some young men in the audience shouted out, "Steve Austin!" So my friends Todd and Paul and I began to do a scene based on Lee Major's character Steve Austin The Six Million Dollar Man. As we were doing the scene I looked out into the audience and I looked over over at the young men. They were looking at us like we had three heads each or something. I could tell they just weren't "getting it."

When I found out later the Steve Austin they wanted a scene about was the pro wrassler (what that guy did was not wrestling, it was wrasslin') Stone Cold Steve Austin I felt like I was a billion years old. Hell those kids had probably never seen The Six Million Dollar Man so it was no wonder they looked at us like we were crazy.

7 comments:

Missy said...

Oh man, what I wouldn't give to have been there. I am glad that you did not know who "Stone Cold" Steve Austin was/is.

Angry Ballerina said...

I'd fuck 'em.....

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Missy-If I recall correctly It was a pretty good show that night.


Angry-Well, sex with them was certainly an option but since I'm straight I didn't choose that option.

Anonymous said...

You should go to improv shows now and holler out words like "buttonhook," "Victrola," and "Theda Bara!" That would rock.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

You shoulda hit em over the head with a folding chair.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Kriby-Funniest comment ever.

Barb-That's one idea.

dguzman said...

Yikes. I share your pain, as I just turned 43.