Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Dinner with Dr. Monkey

Welcome to a new feature on my blog where I show you what I cooked for dinner! Tonight we had salmon cakes, mashed sweet potatoes, and a salad, all low fat of course.

I started by peeling a big ass sweet potato, chopping it up, and then I put it on to boil.

Then I chopped by half of a yellow stripey tomato.
Next I peeled and grated a carrot and added it to my tomato.
Then I added half a cup of organic raisins and my salad dressing, Italian made with a dash of balsamic vinegar.
Then I added baby spinach.
Then roughly diced English cucumber and a half cup of fresh cilantro, or coriander to you folks across the pond.
I then let the salad sit while my sweet potato cooked and I began my salmon cakes.
I use this brand of salmon. It's consistently good and it's relatively inexpensive.
To may salmon I added sauteed onion and yellow and red bell pepper.
Then I mixed in bread crumbs, lime zest, a big tablespoon of mustard, and some egg product, which is basically egg whites with yellow food coloring in them to make them look like eggs.
Then I patted the salmon mixture into patties and fried them in a bit of canola oil. You only need to cook them for a few minutes on each side because the salmon is already precooked. Just make sure to cook them long enough on each side so that the egg product cooks through.
Finally my sweet potato was done so I poured off the water.
I added a tablespoon and a half of Brummel and Brown spread and some cracked black pepper and I mashed as if my life depended on it.

Everything was ready so I plated it and I set out some peanut and sweet ginger chili sauce in some little blue flower sauce dishes my gf got me last Xmas.

I garnished the plate with finely sliced green onion and served it.

I must say the salmon cakes were excellent, I put in just the right amount of lime zest. And the sliced green onions in the sweet potatoes were damn good as well.

That's what I made for dinner tonight. Guess what? I even did the dishes too. Damn, I'm monkey of the year when it comes to kitchen duties baby.

Stay tuned for more adventures in cooking starring the food I cook.

10 comments:

Fran said...

That looks yummy even though I don't like salmon. (i know i know, i just don't!)

Mashed sweets... yummy. And your salad.

Fran hungry now!

Katie Schwartz said...

It looks divine and so beautifully presented, dahlink. Was the simian diva impressed and overjoyed?

Joe said...

Man that looks delicious! Well done!

We've been trying to take advantage of the end of our growing season, eating up our chard and tomatoes. We have to make a big batch of pesto this weekend and use up our out-of-control basil plants.

Now I'm hungry again.

Devilham said...

That looks excellent! Very bright and vibrant colors! It's fun to blog a meal, and hopefully I can glean a few good eating tips from the Doctor, as it looks like he cooks a little healthier than I do.

Jess Wundrun said...

What time should the Wundrun's come over?

Missy said...

Holy crap! I want to make that...or better yet have you over to make it!

I had 2 PBJ sandwiches last night for dinner plus some popcorn at the movies.

GETkristiLOVE said...

That's awesome. I use that brand of salmon on my camping trips - precooked is great for quick camp meals.

dguzman said...

Wow, you can come over and cook any time, Monkey. Except leave the salmon at home and substitute some falafel or something. (We're all veggies at the beginningtobird clubhizzouse).

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Fran-Go eat something!

Jewgirl-Of course she was! She ate it all and she didn't die so it was a sucess!

Bubs-Thanks, I started this feature because I saw you do something like it. When should we come over for that pesto dinner?

Devilham-Dude, you flatter me. I may cook low fatthese days but everything is high in flavor.

Jess-Anytime, ya'll come on over anytime. I'll whip up something for you crazy cheeseheads.

Missy-I am available for private catering, provided you pay my transportation and lodging costs.

Kristi-You go camping?

Dguzman-That's cool, I cook more vegetarian meals now since my heart attack. I'm not 100% yet but I do eat way less meat these days.

NotSoccer Mom said...

okay, i just attempted these salmon cakes. i didn't add enough bread crumbs at first so they started falling apart. i added some and it was fine. my son and i both loved them!!! it was interesting, since i just eye-balled everything. i didn't have a lime so that was out. next time that would be better i think. also, i bought some sweet potatoes already speared. sprayed them with canola oil spray, S&P, then baked. yummy! but i do want to try your mashed ones one of these days.
thanks for the ideas!