Wednesday, August 1, 2007

True Cardiac Tales!

A couple of months after I got out of the hospital after my bypass I was in a grocery store with my gf. We were walking down an aisle and chatting about what to buy for supper. I saw a guy a little older than me and his wife walking towards us. He kept picking up things and saying, "Is this okay?"

His wife would look at the nutritional label and say, "Nope."

(Whatever this label is from I could not eat. It has too much fat and too much salt in it.)

The husband and wife kept going back and forth and as we were about to pass them I said to the husband, "Heart attack?"

He nodded. His wife said, "You too?"

"Yep," I said. "Low fat, low salt diet?"


He nodded. His wife said, "He wants a cheeseburger but he sure as heck ain't gettin' one ever again."

I said, "I'd almost kill for a big old cheeseburger too." I gave him a smile of commiseration.

"Oh well, I guess those days are gone," he said wistfully. "Take care now," he said as they continued shopping.

I said, "You too and good luck finding stuff you're allowed to eat."

In a bid to make me feel better about not having many more cheesburgers in the years ahead my girlfriend ended up buying us some ground turkey and we had turkey burgers later that night.

7 comments:

PJ said...

Shit! I'd love a cheeseburger too, but unfortunately I'm currently in a state of hugeness. But one little burger wouldn't hurt, would it??

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

PJ-No cheeseburgers for you! Have a low fat turkey burger and then go walk.

Angry Ballerina said...

Counting calories and content sucks, sorry brotha, but there are a shit ton of alternatives to what you can't eat, like, that turkey burger!

kelsi said...

your girlfriend sounds sweet.

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

Of course, turkey burgers aren't the same as a big ole cheeseburger, but they're pretty decent I think. I love a good burger, but I just don't eat them that much, which is good I suppose.

joshhill1021 said...

Ok so I may be a bit biased as I have not eaten beef for ten years, but I really like turkey burgers. They are a great alternative to beef as opposed to veggie burgers (which I also like but not the same as meat when that is what you are craving).

NotSoccer Mom said...

i feel your pain. i just found out my cholesterol is up. doc wants me on a low fat, mediterranean diet (whatever the hell that means). darn it all.